First time 4 ME

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Hunter
Was shooting my 10/22 Target last week and had the rim of a .22LR blow-off. It took out the magazine as well as blew-away the extractor and it's plunger (hard to believe but we actually found the tiny piece on the cement floor or our range about 15 feet away from me; and the plunger landed in my hand... it hurt a bit). I pushed what was left of the shell, from the chamber, reinstalled the extractor and plunger and went back to shooting. No problems after that. It's been said that "this is a known 'problem' with 10/22's i.e. sometimes they will hit the back of the rimfire cartridge before the bolt is totally closed. Has ANYONE heard of this phenomenon?
J

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Johnnu2 said:
Was shooting my 10/22 Target last week and had the rim of a .22LR blow-off. It took out the magazine as well as blew-away the extractor and it's plunger (hard to believe but we actually found the tiny piece on the cement floor or our range about 15 feet away from me; and the plunger landed in my hand... it hurt a bit). I pushed what was left of the shell, from the chamber, reinstalled the extractor and plunger and went back to shooting. No problems after that. It's been said that "this is a known 'problem' with 10/22's i.e. sometimes they will hit the back of the rimfire cartridge before the bolt is totally closed. Has ANYONE heard of this phenomenon?
J

Nope, but I don't own a 10-22. My .22lr rifle is a 1939 Savage 6A, and I doubt I'll ever buy a 10-22. :mrgreen:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Kept clean, the bolt face will prevent impact with the rim of the rounds.

I have owned and shot the snot out of 10/22s since the 70's. Never witnessed the circumstance or effect.
Nonetheless, a faulty round is not inconceiveable.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
I have had 2 rounds blow off the rim in a Stevens single shot. Savage uninterested, wouldnt look at on their dime. For now I blame cheap bulk box ammo, will see if it happens again with some quality stuff

None here and a couple of times I've shot the 10-22 suppressed until the chamber was so dirty it finally failed to chamber even with "forward assistance" on the bolt knob. There IS a difference in that scenario, though. We're using sub-sonic ammo that doesn't generate the same bolt speed that HV does.
In all my years, I've never seen an actual out-of-battery ignition. I have seen badly worn 22's split cases at the rim and spit brass/powder residue from the top or side of the action.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Well..... that was the first for me and I neglected to say that the ammo was VERY OLD stuff with the brand name of MOHAWK..... Combined with your responses, I'm inclined to conclude that it is NOT a common problem with 10/22's as the 'range wisdom' implied to me; but rather OLD CRAPPY AMMO.... Appreciate all the responses....

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
I had a .17 MACH II do exactly what your rifle did,,but mine was due to a squib load. Same as you I replaced the extractor and spring/plunger and good to go. I still have the case as a reminder.

Terry

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Chief 101 said:
GunnyGene said:
Johnnu2 said:
Nope, but I don't own a 10-22. My .22lr rifle is a 1939 Savage 6A, and I doubt I'll ever buy a 10-22. :mrgreen:
Is that the 22 with 'gills'?

Yes. Hard to believe the old girl is 80yo, and still kickin' it on the dance floor. :lol: 24" bbl, 17+1.

kqUsBr8.jpg

YNAFob9.jpg