What's the deal between Ruger and T-C?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

It seems to me that T-C makes a version of the 10-22. How'd that happen? Are the two companies in a joint venture or is it that the 10-22 doesn't have any patentable features and T-C just decided to jump into the competition by making a (much more expensive) copy? Or did Ruger license T-C to manufacture the patentable features of the 10-22?

Anybody know what's going on with this? Just curious.

9x19

Hunter
I imagine the patents expired some time back... since Volquartsen, Magnum Research, Kidd, Tactical Innovations, etc were selling their versions even before TC got in the game.

azleite

Single-Sixer
I looked real hard at the stainless target version. Folks over on Rimfire central were kinda sitting on the fence as to accuracy. I thought there was a resemblance to the Brownells reciever with the rail on it + cleaning hole at the rear. So I bought one of those and made my own. In the end not as cheap as I'd hoped- but darned accurate- Dave

mohavesam

Hawkeye
The T/C has a faster twist than Ruger ever made. That must contribute greatly to accuracy as mine will shoot into a 2" circle first shot at 75 yards, right out of the box. They also figured out how to have the bolt stay open after the last round is fired. Great stock trigger, too. The only thing the TCR lacks is a scout-type rail for me.

Ruger has had a close working relationship with S&W for years. Exchanging engineers and designs, etc. When I worked with suppliers, I often had drawings from other gun makers in hand - common supply chains, etc. Just before the MkIV was released, some 30 Ruger employees worked in the S&W and T/C shop and the Victory was one of the guns they worked with. A 'secret' at the time (due to trading laws), the hinge on the MkIV was a S&W design, Ruger had several designs and played with a plunger-type barrel/receiver release to follow the MkIII but S&W beat them to the patent office, so Ruger had to pay to play, so to speak.

10/22-wise, several others have paid Ruger royalties, copied designs, and reached other handshake agreements, especially when WBR was running things. Its been printed that LInebaugh and WBR agreed Ruger would not sell a five-shot big bore revolver - and they waited until Bill was in the ground to do so.
Some say he paid Marlin a sum for the M60 bolt design when Ruger was looking for a rimfire companion to the 44 rifle...? That's always been pretty standard in industry - Benchmark, Analyze gaps, emulate success models, and improve. Why not?

BTW, I like the TCR. I recommend.

azleite

Single-Sixer
Wasn't knocking the T/C - nice gun. Cost on the target version was more than I wanted to spend + mixed reviews. Which I take with a grain. I'm familiar with barrel twists on AR's etc. but I never really considered them on rimfires. T/C says 1/15 on their guns & Ruger 1/16 with my Green Mountain showing 1/16 as well. Something to study on. Thanks for the info-Dave

Enigma

Hunter
Common twist rates for 'slow-twist' .22LR barrels run from 1-15" to 1-16.5" or even 1-17", with anywhere from 3-10 grooves. The so-called 'fast-twist' .22 rimfire barrels intended for the Aquila SSS 60-grain round run 1-9".

My understanding is that at least the majority of the parts for the TCR-22 and 10/22 are interchangeable. Opinions on the interchangeability of the magazines seem to differ. Since I don't currently have access to either, I'll have to take other folks' word for it.

woodsy

Blackhawk
This is the first time I heard of that rifle. What's the deal with the price? I got my brand-new SS 10/22 carbine for about half the price of the TC blued version. They don't even (apparently) offer any SS models.

azleite

Single-Sixer
Yessir, they offer a blued heavy barrel w/laminate stock & a stainless w/black composite. I was interested in the stainless & composite. Ended up with a black Magpul hunter/ Brownells reciever & 20" stainless green mountain.920. BX trigger ruger bolt etc. & topped it with a Weaver target scope I've had forever.
I think I beat the T/C price some & I'm happy with it- Dave

Enigma

Hunter
woodsy said:
This is the first time I heard of that rifle. What's the deal with the price? I got my brand-new SS 10/22 carbine for about half the price of the TC blued version. They don't even (apparently) offer any SS models.

If you want to suffer sticker shock, price out a Kidd Super Grade Premium Rifle:

https://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-22LR-Supergrade-Premium-Rifle-Custom-Build_p_159.html

While it's all top shelf stuff, it is, still, essentially just a 10/22.

9x19

Hunter
Isn't that akin to saying a Cooper is, still, essentially, a bolt-action .22?

"The T/C has a faster twist than Ruger ever made. That must contribute greatly to accuracy as mine will shoot into a 2" circle first shot at 75 yards, right out of the box."

I'm not knocking your T/C and maybe I've been lucky on my end but that's about average for the factory 10-22 barrels I've tried(not with every ammo type. mind you). I have one 10-22 factory take off that I had cut, threaded, and re-crowned(that may be the key, right there) that shoots HV open muzzle, HV suppressed, sub-sonic open and sub-sonic suppressed all into a single 2" group at 60 yards. It's the only one I have that will do this but it's handy that it does.
BTW From a user's standpoint, the 60 grain SS ammo has no real advantages in actual use. It's trajectory makes it nearly impossible for field use beyond it's zeroed distance.