Old Single Six restored to original?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mac66

Single-Sixer
I inherited my dad's 1956 Single Six. At some point he sent it back to Ruger during the recall to have it converted to the new model configuration i.e, transfer bar system. I recently ran across a box with the original parts so I wondering if if is possible to change it back? It would re convert it back to a 5 shot as it was unsafe to carry it with the hammer down on a loaded chamber. However, I remember the trigger being so much better before the new model conversion.

No really concerned about the value either way as I and my heirs will likely keep it forever.

45flattop

Single-Sixer
As far as I recall, the modification of an Old Model 3 screw to the transfer bar
system is SUPPOSED to be reversible with the old parts that Ruger is supposed
to return to the original owner when the conversion is done. But, I do know at
least a few owners who did not get their original parts back and when a few of
them complained, Ruger was of no help whatsoever so it seems to be a case
of you pay your money and you take your chances. If you have the original
parts you lucked out.

grobin

Blackhawk
My brother had his 3 screw Blackhawk converted. He got back the parts and when he sold it the buyer wanted it back to original. Took him about an hour and a half, mostly figuring out what to do. I had mine converted and still have it.

sounds like a nice gun, and glad you are able to keep it 'in the family', yes as noted above rather simple and easy to do it, as long as the parts are the ORIGINAL ones from that gun,,,the serial number may be on the plastic bag the old parts are in,,,they always marked the bag and sealed it.......heck if you were nearby would be happy to convert back for you and show you all the 'whys & wherefores', wish I had a nickel for everyone we put back together for folks,,,,,, good luck 8) :roll: :wink:

mac66

Single-Sixer
G2 said:
Easy,
Where are you located?

Michigan

I think I will keep it as it is for now. Knowing I have the original parts and can be restored is good enough for me at this point.

I set up a range on my hunting property earlier in the summer and have been shooting it (and my other 22s) a lot more recently. Keeping it at 6 shots (less reloading) is good for now.

And just for the heck of it, here's a photo. I know at one time he had a pair of stag grips for it. Haven't been able to find them yet.

mac66 said:
I think I will keep it as it is for now. Knowing I have the original parts and can be restored is good enough for me at this point.

Good plan. You have the benefit of the "safer" action for your shooter, and have the potential value adder of keeping the original parts for future reference.

Nice old flatgate. Enjoy!

:mrgreen:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
That's a nice old "Flatgate"!

If you change it back, you can load and shoot it safely with 6 rounds. The issue is not to carry it or holster it with 6 rounds. You just don't want a loaded round under the hammer when you're not shooting, that's all. There's no sense living with a crappy trigger pull.

Ruger doesn't have an OM single action video so choose the video at this link for 'Revolver Tech Tips":
http://www.ruger.com/videos.html?vid=13 ... at=3769277
and scroll down to "Tech Tips-Old Army Disassembly" and "Tech Tips-Old Army Reassembly" which has the same lock work.