Which Ruger Mk IV for target shooting, plus lite pip sights

Help Support Ruger Forum:

northk

Bearcat
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a Ruger MK IV for target shooting. But there are several different models. I'm looking at the MK IV Target and the Competition model, but I'm open to other models too. I used to shoot GSSF and I.C.O.R.E. (with GP100), both guns had lite pipe style sights which for my vision were dramatically better than any other kind of sight I tried.

Can you help me with what the tradeoffs are between the models, and which model would be best for target shooting? I'm most interested in an all-stainless model. Is it easy to add lite pipe style sights to any of the models, and can you buy a MK IV with those sights already installed and lined up? One last question is, is it worth it to get the Volquartsen Competition Bolt and Accurizing Kit?
Thanks.

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok,, as to which model to get,, I truly suggest you try & handle & feel as many different ones before purchasing one. Only you can determine what fits YOUR hands. The Target & Competition models have a screw on front sight, and as such,,, if that particular model doesn't already come with a fiber optic lite pipe type of front sight,, then you can easily add one. (Hi-Viz makes them.)

As for the adding any kits or accurizing stuff. Try the gun first & see if it needs any upgrades BEFORE spending money & going off what someone else may have found works for them.

Quite often, the Volquartsen accurizing kits do help many shooters,, but the bolts may not be necessary. There are lots of aftermarket options,, but I always say to start with a stock gun, see how it performs, before considering changing anything. Then, change just one thing at a time & see if things "improve" or not.

As for current offerings,, why not go to the Ruger website & see what they offer?

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
This is a hard question to help anyone with. Everyone is different in what they prefer and like. For me I have three Marks, a Mark III Competition 6" barrel, a Mark IV Hunter 6" barrel and a 22/45 Tactical 4" barrel. My two 6" are as accurate as I need them to be with even the cheapest ammo. But it all goes sonic. My 4" 22/45 Tactical will keep the ammo just under sonic speeds. So if I am shooting what I mainly buy Federal HV it keeps the cheap stuff subsonic and more accurate. Plus I have a Tandemkross Game Changer Pro Compensator on that pistol.

Really all the Ruger Marks are just as accurate as the other. SV ammo is usually the most accurate and you will get the most out of the pistol.