Ruger single six 17hmr

Help Support Ruger Forum:

loiblb

Single-Sixer
I'm looking at a Ruger single six 17hmr
Is the gun fun to shoot and own? Anything to look out for on a used one?
Thanks

32shooter

Blackhawk
I just picked up one last week from a member here. Haven't shot it yet. Also have a Story 8 shot M2 cylinder to try in it.

57springer

Buckeye
32shooter said:
I just picked up one last week from a member here. Haven't shot it yet. Also have a Story 8 shot M2 cylinder to try in it.
I remember the convertible with the mach2 cylinder . I looked at one and didn't grab it , Wow, what a mistake . Looking on gunbroker, they are $1100 revolvers now :shock: I just wonder how long Ruger will continue to make them :?:

WMB30

Single-Sixer
I was more than pleased with mine, until someone stole it along with a Bullberry custom T/C.

Bill

Shotter11

Bearcat
I have a hunter in the 17 HMR. As per the cartridge it is a flat shooting laser and is one heck of a varmit round if you are so inclined.
As referred to above, if you are in the market for a hunter keep your eyes open for a convertible model 17 HMR / 17 Mach II. There were not many made and they command a premium price.
If not, a regular single six should scratch the itch too. Good luck and as always report back with any purchases/shooting report.

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
I have one I bought used 14 months ago, it is vary accurate and pleasant to shoot, bought it for a companion to my CZ 455 am glad I did. Can't think of anything to look out for with a used Ruger, never have had an issue with a used Ruger firearm.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=279302 I call a $425-ish 17HMR gun in ANIB condition a very fair deal.

The Hunter SS convertible is a unicorn, but Ruger has no parts and will not service them anymore anyway. Look for the SS 17HMR with the rare "mistake" topstrap roll stamp in the muzzle-down orientation.

I have a Contender in .17 HMR, 14" barrel. It is amazingly accurate. I tried looking for a single six in 17 as well.

But from what I've read, this caliber needs at least a 14" barrel, if not 16" to perform the best. In a short pistol barrel, the bullet won't be able to get up to speed.

transalp1961

Single-Sixer
I have three of the Single Six stainless Hunters in 17 HMR. Two are new with one having the 17 Mach 2 cylinder. I shoot a third one that I bought used LNIB. The prices appear to have went up since I purchased mine.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/817584096

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/817769773

gunsbam69

Hunter
I'm a dealer and could get you a new 6.5" blue one for $535 shipped, but you can get one used for $100 less than that. Ruger is making only the blue 6.5" at the moment.

Moey

Bearcat
I have one, 6.5, it's fun, fairly accurate, LOUD, no recoil, best of all it's a 6 shot. Have a 14" TC Contender with a Burris rifle scope. It is lights out accurate. Only shoot Hornady's out of them both.