Age old Charger question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

louiethelump

Buckeye
I have a charger I bought new. Wood stock with poly grip version.

I don't really need a monster size 22 pistol, and have it for sale.

If it does not sell, can I put a 16" plus rifle barrel on that Charger receiver and then drop it into a 10/22 stock??

This is not a legal question, as I know there is no legal issue. I am asking if the Charger receiver is identical to the rifle receiver, or if Ruger changed the way the barrel mounts in some way to prevent a rifle barrel being put on the pistol receiver.

It would be more useful to me as a compact rifle than a huge pistol.

Probably age old question.

Thanks.

Sorry, but it IS a "legal issue"....pistols are that and rifles are that, and when one changes them in "form" from one to another it can and would be a "legal issue" all I will tell you is "be careful", seeking legal advice on the internet is NOT grounds for any legal defense........ 8) :roll: :wink:

louiethelump

Buckeye
Thank you. Was not seeking legal advice and I made that clear.

I was asking about the mechanical aspect of installing a longer barrel.

But thank you for your concern.

I just took my Charger apart and it appears that the Charger receiver is no different than a 10/22 receiver so there should be no problems there.

I know you did not ask but for other firearm owners information:

From the BATFE:
Can I lawfully make a pistol into a rifle without registering that firearm?

Assuming that the firearm was originally a pistol, the resulting firearm, with an attached shoulder stock, is not an NFA firearm if it has a barrel of 16 inches or more in length. Pursuant to ATF Ruling 2011-4, such rifle may later be unassembled and again configured as a pistol. Such configuration would not be considered a "weapon made from a rifle" as defined by 26 U.S.C. § 5845(a)(4).

[26 U.S.C. § 5845, 27 C.F.R. § 479.11; ATF Ruling 2011-4]

So, if you have a handgun, and it was transferred/registered to you as a handgun gun, you can legally turn it into a rifle and then even revert it back into a pistol later if you want. Just remember, when turning the pistol into a rifle, remember to put the rifle barrel on FIRST, before you put it into a rifle stock. If you put it into a stock first, you have just created an illegal SBR. Although this doesn't really pertain to the Charger as you have to remove the receiver from the pistol stock first to remove the barrel.

NEXT;
Can I lawfully make a rifle into a pistol without registering that firearm?

No. A firearm that was originally a rifle would be classified as a "weapon made from a rifle" if; it has either a barrel less than 16 inches in length or an overall length of less than 26 inches. If an individual wishes to make an NFA firearm, s/he must first submit ATF Form 1, Application to Make and Register a Firearm, pay a $200.00 making tax, and receive approval of the application from ATF before converting the firearm.

[18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(3); 26 U.S.C. §§ 5845(a)(3)-(4)]

So, a rifle that is transferred/registered as a rifle CANNOT be turned into a handgun unless you do a Form 1 and get the tax stamp. And then it can never be a rifle again.

Hope this clears things up.

9x19

Hunter
Your last statement "And then it can never be a rifle again." is incorrect.

The law treats SBRs differently from Full Auto weapons. SBRs are only subject to NFA restrictions when in SBR confguration, anything full auto is always subject to NFA restrictions, even if you convert it to semi-auto.

SBRs may be made from either handguns or rifles.

If the SBR started as a handgun, and you remove the rifle stock, it is again a hand gun.... or if you replace the short barrel with a 16" barrel (along with a rifle stock), it is now a rifle.

If the SBR started as a rifle and you replace the short barrel with a 16" barrel, it is again a rifle. As with any rifle, it cannot be made into a legal pistol.

Yes there are several letters from ATF stating this, but y'all can (and should) do your own search.

kinda like when just about the time you are about to do "whatever" and in that "instant" there is a knock at the door, and you get CAUGHT :shock: ,,,,,,,,I recall some years ago a guy came to the shop with a Boyes anti tank gun in 55 cal caliber, had it out in the car,and wanted to sell it and we asked if it had the "papers" he said NO it does not have the owners manual,duh,,,,,,,so I tried to hand him a hack saw and a some money and told him to go out and saw the barrel off and I'll buy the "parts",,,,,,,,,,he walked away......he did try a couple of other shops, and finally he was met at home by the BATFE and they got it from him, no, he had NO papers, so gone in a heartbeat, they made him an offer he could not refuse............as I said , free legal advice on the internet may NOT be "free",...... any doubt YOU call and ask.... 8) :roll: :wink:

9x19 said:
Your last statement "And then it can never be a rifle again." is incorrect.

The law treats SBRs differently from Full Auto weapons. SBRs are only subject to NFA restrictions when in SBR confguration, anything full auto is always subject to NFA restrictions, even if you convert it to semi-auto.

SBRs may be made from either handguns or rifles.

If the SBR started as a handgun, and you remove the rifle stock, it is again a hand gun.... or if you replace the short barrel with a 16" barrel (along with a rifle stock), it is now a rifle. Absolutely Correct because it started as a HANDGUN

If the SBR started as a rifle and you replace the short barrel with a 16" barrel, it is again a rifle. As with any rifle, it cannot be made into a legal pistol.The last part of your comment is false, actually it can made into a handgun by doing a form 1 because it started as a rifle, abet a short barreled rifle

Yes there are several letters from ATF stating this, but y'all can (and should) do your own search.

The OP and myself were not talking about NFA firearms and because of the comments I was just showing people what BATFE says you can and can't do when reconfiguring handguns and rifles. And the OP did ask about putting a legal rifle barrel on the Charger receiver and then putting it into a rifle stock.

Reread my last statement, I was NOT talking about turning a rifle or handgun into a SBR, I stated that turning a rifle into a handgun, once completed, cannot be undone (handgun back into a rifle). Making the handgun from a rifle would require a Form 1 and Form 1's are not just for making SBR's. Remember the Form 1 title is: Application to Make and Register a Firearm

louiethelump, I'm sorry your post got sidetracked

9x19

Hunter
My apologies, when I saw Form 1, my mind went to SBR, rather than a "weapon made from a rifle", which may look like a "handgun".

To be clear, in doing either of the above to a rifle, you are creating a weapon which has been added to the NFA registry, and subject to NFA restrictions.

Apology accepted, don't worry, many people think the same way (Form 1 automatically think SBR or SBS). The Form 1 is also the way you can make your own suppressor, a handgun made from a rifle, or an AOW (Any Other Weapon - such as a handgun with a vertical fore grip, pen gun, knife gun, cane gun, etc).

And you are correct, once a weapon is made using a Form 1 it goes under the purvey of the NFA Division.

louiethelump

Buckeye
I just sold it. That took care of all the B.S. coming out of a question if the Charger receiver was any different than a 10/22 receiver.

I knew I could legally make a rifle if I want to. Was only asking if the parts fit. The concept of answering a simple question with a simple answer seems to have left our culture.

I've learned more than once if you ask a question on the internet you will get a multitude of answers and some of which you did not want to hear or know....

Just to be clear about the original question... the basic parts of a Ruger Charger pistol and a Ruger 10/22 rifle are the same... the only differences are the stock and the barrel lengths and so the answer is yes you can change then all out every which kind of way. It is easy to change out the barrels... but I would look it up on the internet... to tighten the retaining bolts correctly. But just about anybody can do it with a flat head screw driver and Allen wrench.

louiethelump

Buckeye
Thank you. I put a fast twist (1 in 9") barrel on my 10/22 for the 60 grain bullets with no problems. I had come into a Charger in great shape and was thinking of putting a rifle barrel and stock on it and making another rifle of the receiver which is legal. I just needed to know if there was a pin or something like they did with the Charter arms explorer pistol to keep you from putting the short barrels on your survival rifle.

Was not seeking the law course I got but it was all with best of intentions. Some states have additional restrictions in addition to Federal law, but I still live in America and don't have very many silly laws to deal with here. Anyway, I said to heck with it and sold the Charger as it came from the factory as I don't really need another .22 rifle anyway.

Thanks to all for your efforts to share your knowledge.