Anyone ever have their receiver frame screw shear off?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

photographix

Bearcat
While at the range on Friday, I noticed that what looked like a pin on the right side was working itself out. Turns out that the "receiver frame screw", or part #3 found on page 34 and 36 of the Mark IV manual (https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/Mark-IV-Pc4tS28s.pdf) has sheared in half, breaking just under the threads.

According to the manual, the screw does not need to be factory replaced. When I called Ruger Prescott this morning, they said I have to send the entire pistol back for repair. Unless I'm missing something, it's a 10 second repair with a new part. Maybe they need to torque it to some magic number? Sheesh.

Anyone else have this happen?

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
First one that I have heard of. Maybe they just want to investigate it since the pistol is still a newer design.

contender

Ruger Guru
As with any manufactured part,, occasionally you get a bad part.
The .22 doesn't create enough recoil or torque to shear a screw. Most likely a bad screw 7 a heavy handed assembler.
I'd see if they'd just send a new screw,, as it's obvious you seem capable of replacement. But,, if not,, maybe a pre-paid shipper to let them look at it & see if there is anything else that needs attention. As noted above,, maybe they just want to study it to make sure there isn't a defect somehow.

photographix

Bearcat
I did ask twice if they could just send me the screw, and they said no, I have to send in the whole gun, not just the lower. And I agree, I don't think the .22 generates that much stress on the screw, but I'm not a mechanical engineer, either.

I just saw a post on another rimfire forum that a person with a Hunter like mine said their frame lug was loose. The owner added an O-ring to the screw and some foam to tighten it up. Makes me wonder if this is symptomatic of the Hunter.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Several people have had that screw loosen up including me. Just take the screw out clean it and the female threads with alcohol, apply a little blue Loctite and you are good to go. Mine has not loosened back up on either of my two Mark IV pistols again.

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok, then I'd suggest you do as they ask & ship it back to them. Request a pre-paid shipper, politely.

jstanfield103,, he can't do as you suggest,, as his has already sheared off.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Yep Guru that's correct. I always short cut what I mean. I figure people can figure my mind out I guess. But when he gets it back he will be able too.

photographix

Bearcat
Ruger has already sent me a FedEx label and instructions, and never asked for a credit card or any form of payment. This must be warranty stuff, which is very nice. I had always heard that Ruger stands by its products.

It's probably going to be a while until I get it back, as Prescott is closed this week for the July 4 holiday. They told me to ship it on the 8th, and I imagine it will be some time before I get it back.

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
I needed repair and got it back in 3 days. Since I live in Arizona there wasn't a lot of travel time needed but they will work on it fast for you. I'd be surprised if it takes more than a week to get it back.

If you have any aftermarket parts remove them before sending it back. Ruger will replace them with OEM parts and not give you back the aftermarkets.

photographix

Bearcat
Got my Hunter back today! I have to say I'm impressed with Ruger Customer Service: Sent it on July 8, got it back on the 18th. That's 10 days in all, with a weekend and 4.5 days worth of shipping time in that 10 days. I was expecting them to have it at least a couple of weeks. Color me happy!

According to the paperwork, they replaced the Receiver Frame Screw, Grip Frame Lug, and something called "Bumper & Ball", which I don't see in the parts diagram under that name. They also fired 40 rounds through it without a problem. It may be my imagination, but the upper feels tighter on the lower than it used to. Might just be the brand new parts...?

They even threw in a silicon cleaning cloth as a thank you.

contender

Ruger Guru
See? I told ya they would want to see it & make sure all was correct. And yes,, they do take care of stuff when things happen.
By your post,, you are quite pleased!