Short video of Ruger's "first" pistol

Help Support Ruger Forum:

If it is serial number 1, why are some parts marked with a 3 and an 8? Not being snarky, just want to know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38I4oqLENT0&feature=youtu.be

contender

Ruger Guru
I have seen that pistol,, and the general consensus was it was the first one assembled,, and completed. The parts numbers are likely from a production run of parts,, NOT directly linked to the serial number of the gun. Kinda like a sequence number vs. a serial.
Maybe Don Findley can visit & enlighten us a bit more.

chet15

Hawkeye
The photos with the stamped numbers are actually Don Findley's guns...serial numbers 3 and 8, and not from the gun pictured.
You will find Donnie's pictures in his book.
Donnie... Is that a loaded chamber indicator in the back of the 1st auto bolt? I see a round hole, but I also see another round object just to the left of the hole which is flush with the back of the bolt.
Chet15

chet15 said:
The photos with the stamped numbers are actually Don Findley's guns...serial numbers 3 and 8, and not from the gun pictured.
You will find Donnie's pictures in his book.
Chet15

That makes sense. Hopefully Mr. Findley will add his insight. Thanks.

d findley

Single-Sixer
These pictures were taken at the NRA show, 2018 at Dallas. The pistol on the turntable is Rugers 1st prototype, no serial number. Number 1 is still in the factory as a barreled receiver, never assembled. Number 2 also never left the factory, making #3 the 1st firearm to leave SR&Co, September 15, 1949. A good write-up with pics is in a recent American Rifleman magazine.