22/45, a great pistol

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Way back in 2001 I bought a new Mark II 22/45. I've fired over 12,000 rounds through it, and just yesterday and today added 500 more to the count.

I've kept it stock, and it still works perfectly !!

Ruger-MARK-II-Model-22-45-22-LR-Semi-Automatic-Pistol_100752555_24163_C116B716E75620CD.jpg

s4s4u

Hunter
They are great guns. I bought mine in '97, but with the 5-1/2" barrel. The handle felt a bit thin to me so I milled the sides flat and installed 1911 panels. Topped with a small reflex sight and it is deadly on skirrles. No idea how many rounds through but is a bunch.

Donnieweps

Single-Sixer
I have the longer barrel, bull barreled version of the .22/45.

I agree, an excellent pistol. It was good from the start but I added a Volquartsen sear and it's superb. Can't imagine a better range, practice, plinking pistol.

Always heard that S&W Model 41s were top of the heap. Considering the price differential, I have my doubts. Don

I have one similar to that. Mine came with fixed sights but was later changed to adjustable(but not the "holster ripper" front blade). As a consideration to my aging eyes, it now has a wee little red dot that does it's job well w/o upsetting the aesthetics of the pistol.
I also have one with a threaded barrel that is permanently designated as a suppressor host--super accurate little pistol with a full on VQ upgrade.

gunzo

Buckeye
12,500 rounds.........COOL!

I've got MKII targets in 5.5" & 6.8", both tricked out in one way or another. My 22/45 standard gets shot more than the other two combined. It just seems handier & is all I need for general shooting. A lot lot lighter so it carries well too!

Glad I've got one.

contender

Ruger Guru
Miss Penny has one identical to that one,, & I have a MKIII like it. We used them both yesterday at our most recent ladies instructional clinic. FINE guns.
(And I'll say our two have more rounds through ours than yours,, simply because of our clinics!)
This model is very popular with the ladies due to the shorter barrel & it's balance in their hands.

I have one that I've never shot. I do have a couple of KP4Bs that I have shot and I agree with everyone above, they're really nice shooting pistols. Great balance and feel. Much better than the MKIII 22/45 IMHO.

rman

Bearcat
Mobuck said:
I don't see a problem with the 22/45 series 3 AFTER swapping out the lawyer proofing parts.

I'll second that. I got rid of the mag safety and installed a Volquartzen accurizing kit. Mine is accurate, reliable and the mags drop free now that the mag safety is gone. It's a fun little pistol.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Mine are all Mk II guns, but I agree and opine the Mk II 22/45 is the best 22LR pistol design they ever offered. I just wondered why a replaceable-grip panel version wasn't sold with the original design!?

exavid

Hunter
I just bought a Mark IV 22/45 Lite and really like it. I purchased it to replace my Buckmark which I use for Bullseye practice. Old age is a bummer, the lighter weight of the Ruger is a lot easier on my arthritis. With a Burris Fastfire red dot on top it's much lighter which helps me a lot.

The only downside is I miss the 2lb. trigger on the Browning. I'll have to see what I can do to lighten up the Ruger's pull but other than that the Ruger fits me a lot better. I've had several of the Ruger .22s since the early '60s but I think this model is everything those early ones weren't. I love the quick take down feature. That alone makes this gun worth it's price of you shoot a lot. Accuracy at ten feet put all the rounds in the X ring at 50' (on a rest of course).

45flattop

Single-Sixer
I just wish that beginning with the MKIIs and you can skip the lawyerly
monstrosity that is the MKIII, but including the MKIV series, that Ruger
would have offered them in stainless as well as blued. I have a condition
that leaves the surface of my skin on my hands rich with a high acid
content that if I am not hyper cautious about wiping anything blued down
fast after a range session, I am guaranteed to see the beginnings of rust
before nightfall so sticking with stainless saves me that nagging worry.

RUT

Single-Sixer
>>Mark II 22/45<<

I have both the blued and stainless versions, both in 5.5". For what they are, they're pretty good shooters. Perhaps I'll "VQ" one or both of them in the future. :)

45flattop

Single-Sixer
RUT said:
>>Mark II 22/45<<

I have both the blued and stainless versions, both in 5.5". For what they are, they're pretty good shooters. Perhaps I'll "VQ" one or both of them in the future. :)

If you can recall, was the stainless version of your MKII 22/45 available only when
the MKII line was the newest(current at the time)? Consulting Ruger's current
online catalog, it seems to only show a blue variant for several models of 22/45s.

RUT

Single-Sixer
I took my blued version to the range yesterday and I can't believe how well it shoots, and with the stock trigger set-up yet. In fact, I believe it shoots better than my 22/45 MK lV. I've decided that if any of my MK's were to go it would be the MK lV.