Optic for MK IV Tactical pistol

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mikein

Single-Sixer
Looking for your recommendations on an optic for my Tactical. I use it strictly for paper punching with shooting buddies, and a small amount of varmint dispatch work when I run my trap lines. Considering a small red dot or green laser, and am open to suggestions.

Achigan

Single-Sixer
I put a Nikon Spur on my Mk4 Hunter and am quite pleased with it. I put Dozen or so squirrels in the freezer with it last year

Poor squirrels...that's just cold. :D

I like the open style red dots more and more. Like the Burris Fast Fire. Last winter I splurged and ordered one of the Trijicon RMR sights. They are truly amazing. No switches, always on, just pick up the pistol aim and shoot.

But the small sights close to the barrel are comfortable because they don't make the gun top heavy, or heavy at all. For example, I have a GP100 with a scope. That is just one heavy gun.

I have both FastFire and FF2(?) and like the later version a bit more.
If using this type of sight in the field be prepared to keep it clean as dust or moisture seemed to find the lens easily. The FastFire has a full coverage cap while the later one only has an open ended cover.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
If I had the extra cash for a Fast Fire III that's one I would love to try. I have 5 Millett SP-1/SP-2 (Not made anymore) I Love them. New they sold for around $100 dollars. You can find them on ebay for around $30 to $50 now. The SP-1's have a 3 MOA dot size and the model I prefer. I have never tried the reflex style yet but will one day. But for the money on the used market I love the Millett SP's especially the SP-1 which is what I would work for.

mikein

Single-Sixer
Thanks again, folks! I need all the input I can get to make the right decision!!

grobin

Blackhawk
I really like the trijicon but They are pricy. The SIG Romeo are almost as good and a lot less. You need to decide what distance that you are going to be working at to decide the dot size.

I've had mixed luck with lasers. A lot have vsability problems in daylight! I have had good results with Crimson Trace out to 50 us in daylight. There are lasers with much greater range but they are $$$$ and may require licensing.

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
I like the Vortex Venom or the Viper on my guns. The Viper goes on sale every once in a while for $175. It sits low and is nice with a 3 minute dot for accurate shooting or a 6 minute dot for Steel shooting. Burris makes a nice mount that keeps it low to the bore.

mikein

Single-Sixer
Again, thanks for the input! After much research and greatly appreciated suggestions from you folks on the Forum, I'm leaning heavily toward the Vortex Venom, with the Burris FastFire a close second. The last side-by-side comparison I read between these two gave the Venom a slight edge. The Burris's long, proven track record was the only area in which the reviewer thought it was a better sight than the Venom. The V V is still a relatively new entry into the market.

mikein:
I just got back from the range. I have a Bushnell "First Strike" One of those open style red dot's I just looked, I bought it on Amazon 3 years ago, and have had trouble with it. Today, I finally figured out it just isn't holding zero. At all. The last time I went shooting it was shooting to the point of impact, but today it was off by a foot and I just could not get it centered at all. I'm a little disappointed. It was $120 three years ago.

mikein

Single-Sixer
Thanks, Hawkeye! I'm still thinking that the Venom has the best, though rather short, track record, and I'm going to go for it. I'll post my results after I've gotten it mounted and sighted in.

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
mikein said:
Again, thanks for the input! After much research and greatly appreciated suggestions from you folks on the Forum, I'm leaning heavily toward the Vortex Venom, with the Burris FastFire a close second. The last side-by-side comparison I read between these two gave the Venom a slight edge. The Burris's long, proven track record was the only area in which the reviewer thought it was a better sight than the Venom. The V V is still a relatively new entry into the market.

Vortex has one of the best customer service departments I've ever dealt with. My Viper had a problem with not adjusting left or right. I called and told them the problem. They sent me a new one before I even returned mine.

Latest posts