Geezerly advice on 22's

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
I have one for my 22/45 that is very quiet. The action cycling is louder than the shot.
I also have one for 30. Caliber that i use exclusively on an AR chambered in 300 blackout. I load those to 950 fps to be subsonic and once again the lead hitting the steel is louder than the shot.
So i recommend getting at least two. Next will be 45 caliber!

grobin

Blackhawk
contender's summary is good. I have one on my 22 45 as courtesy to my neighbors! They quiet things a lot, using subsonic ammo. Folks seem to confuse the super sonic crack with the report of the gun; the crack can hit >120db, if you use super sonic ammo the silencer does nothing to mitigate the crack! In most cases hearing protection is still a good idea!

SamV

Buckeye
I have never used one but I have curious about them. A bunch of years ago, I saw Tom Knapp perform one of his shotgun shooting shows. It was a lot of fun. One of the things he demonstrated was a barrel extension for a shotgun. It simply screwed in to the choke threads and essentially doubled the barrel length. Not very practical for most things, but he explained that it was designed for pest control. I was really surprised by how much sound was reduced by simply adding more length.
I looked up a manufacturer and they state that a 12 gauge is reduced to 72 db. That is pretty quiet.

I was curious and decide to see what the difference was between a subsonic .22 round in a 22 inch barrel and a relatively high powered air rifle. It was an informal test indoors, with no sound meters. I was really surprised that they both were relatively similar. I assumed that the longer barrel on the .22 helped somewhat with the sound.
At some point, I will probably splurge like Mobuck and buy a suppressor for a .22 pistol. One more thing to add to my wish list.

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
When I use mine on the 22/45 the short barrel doesn't let the velocity of the regular 22lr get supersonic. Different sound when I put the same suppressor on my 10/22 the velocity now is supersonic and you get the crack from the air as the bullet breaks the sound barrier.

"At some point, I will probably splurge like Mobuck"
If/when the wait time becomes a little more reasonable, I'm going to file 3 or 4 more Form 1's. Then (after the interminable wait) I'll build that many more mufflers so all of my regularly used rim fires will be suppressed.

Chief 101

Hunter
I really like the sound of 22lr, and I shoot a lot of them. Once in a while I feel the need to shoot quiet, shorts do the trick...I really like 22 short rimfire for close in work...

jimd441

Blackhawk
I totally get the functionality of them, my issue is the very effective job they do at making a pretty gun ugly.

Jim