Lost 10-22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

OK, maybe "misplaced" would be a better term. At least I found it--after much searching. None the worse for it's experience so all is good.
Don't you just hate when you put something away and then can't locate it?

I have a Triplett and Scott .50 caliber Rimfire Repeating Carbine. Now, I KNEW I had put it away in an upstairs closet. I went to retrieve it and it wasn't there. I tore the house apart looking for it. I even asked my son if he sold it. He swore to me he would never do that. Where could it have gone. Literally years later I was moving an old chest that I had stuffed away and low and behold, there behind the chest was the rifle. How it got there is anyone's guess. It is now in my gun safe.

contender

Ruger Guru
All of us are guilty of misplacing an item. Or,, placing it in a spot,, and forgetting where that spot is. When it involves a firearm,, it really gets "interesting." Glad your's was found.

(I have a sticky note on my desk,, with a few items I'm looking for!!)

grobin

Blackhawk
My mother had to hide things from my younger brother (presants, surprises...) and then need to ask him where they were.

I'm not well organized but I or things in areas where they are obvious and with like things.

Glad you found it!

Chief 101

Hunter
Mobuck said:
OK, maybe "misplaced" would be a better term. At least I found it--after much searching. None the worse for it's experience so all is good.
Don't you just hate when you put something away and then can't locate it?
It only happens to me when I put something in a very safe place where I can't lose it...

I lose tools at an alarming rate. Part of this is due to my "help" which consists of 2 Grandkids. When "the blind kid" (my younger Son) still lived here, things stays in exactly the same spot. Had to be that way so he could find tools and stuff. He always replaced wrenches, hammer, whatever exactly where he found it. He also wasn't bashfull about telling me I hadn't put something back in the right spot.
The Grandkids just carry stuff back to the general area and DROP IT.
Back to the rifle. Last fall, I spent about 2 hours looking for a rifle I wanted to use, going through most of the vertical storage racks w/o success. Came back the next day looking for something entirely different and BINGO, there was the rifle I'd looked for yesterday leaning behind the gun room door. No idea how it got there. Gun fairies, evil dwarfs, gremlins??? At least I'm not alone in this mis-located gun syndrome.

coach

Hunter
I did that with a bearcat. I was starting to think it somehow was stolen. Found it by accident in the main coat closet where I never put guns. Except for one time of course. :roll:

The following story will be totally foreign to those who keep their vehicles CLEAN.
I spent hours looking through the outbuildings for a 22 that had been in the gun rack on the back of the pickup seat. I finally decided it had been stolen at some point when the vehicle was left sitting in the field. Months later while retrieving a glove that had fallen under the seat, I felt something that was strangely similar to a rifle stock.
BINGO, there was my old 22 completely wedged under the seat. Only a guess but most likely scenario: someone had dragged a jacket from behind the seat and inadvertently pulled the rifle out of the gun rack hooks allowing it to fall under the seat. After that, numerous items had been stuffed behind the seat pushing the rifle totally out of sight. The old beater wasn't hurt(much) and regained it's spot after cleaning off all the accumulated dust and crud.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Mobuck said:
No idea how it got there. Gun fairies, evil dwarfs, gremlins??? At least I'm not alone in this mis-located gun syndrome.

Hi,

In my house, it's gremlins. Fun loving little fellers, they take stuff and hide it just long enough to realize I'm starting to get seriously worried. Then they put it back exactly where it "should" be. I can hear them laughing sometimes...

Ok, guys, I need my snap ring pliers back next! ;)

Rick C

valvestem

Bearcat
I have not lost a gun yet, but have looked high and low for a few now and then. But....I did lose a Garmin Dashcam, and looked for it for a year, Then thought it was stolen from the car during the night I guess and felt stupid. Then one day, I open up the top of a parts box I had just bought like a week ago, and there it was sitting there in its case. I had a strange and happy feeling my Wife found it, and put it in there for me to find. One thing though, my Wife passed away over four years ago. But I still think she did it, somehow.

One of my good friends thought he lost his LCP while digging clams in the sand on a Washington ocean beach. Looked all over for it with no luck. Two years later while moving to a new house we found it on top of a China hutch in the dining room during the move. Now he has two since he bought one to replace the "lost" one.

Mobuck said:
If you really want to "find" a lost/misplaced item, just buy a replacement. The misplaced item will show up immediately.
That didn't work. Many years ago my wife, my buddy and his wife and a neighbor were all sitting at a picnic table at our park/swim area. I had removed my wedding band. We had been digging some drainage ditches and didn't want to damage it. It was on a towel on the table. Someone picked the towel up and the band went flying into the sand. EVERYONE, but me, saw it hit the sand. It has never been found. We dug, screened, and used a metal detector. Zip.

Latest posts