Ruger 10/22T Target Matte Blue barrel dates

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Stump Buster

Single-Sixer
I may be making a trade for a 10/22T with the hammer forged spiral barrel and brown laminated stock. I just shot a rimfire silhouette match this weekend and happened to be teamed up with a gentleman with the same model, but his had a gloss blued barrel. I think those came out first, then the matte blued, then the tactical target (with the hogue stock), then the stainless version. Is that the correct order? When did the matte blued models come out? Any pro's/con's on the matte version?

Thanks,

Stump

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
I have the hammer forged blued model I bought new in the early 2000's.
And to me the blueing never looked great. It's definitely not a matte finish though.
Shot a many of squirrels in the head with it.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Yeah that helped. :?

Are we sure the "Matte blue" isn't just a barrel someone has "washed" with acetone or alcohol in some attempt to dull the finish for say, hunting intention? I've seen that done in my travels... ?

Stump Buster

Single-Sixer
It's matte. I'll try and take a few pictures (and check the serial number database) and get back here. Gotta do some honey do's and set up the Dillon 550 today though, so it may be later this week.

45flattop

Single-Sixer
I recently purchased one of the hammer forged spiral pattern bull barrel 10/22s
from its original owner but along the way he apparently grew weary of the finish
so he had the gun Cerakoted a subdued woodsy green but since I wasn't looking
for a collectible as much as a decent shooter I don't mind.

Stump Buster

Single-Sixer
Well that day FLEW by!!! Got the Dillon set up, but ended up re-organizing my entire bench, so no pics today. Sorry, I'll try and get some taken and posted this week.

Stump Buster

Single-Sixer
Based on the Ruger serial number data, it appears to be a 2008 vintage... (don't laugh at the pillows, they were handy in the garage)
VNu9tmS.jpg

6RTNNJh.jpg

13mPsTx.jpg

bVCFO3s.jpg

JQrNMig.jpg

Appears to be factory matte/satin as the crown is still in the white. I like the finish on this one. Probably could benefit from a Kidd trigger though I think.

Stump Buster said:
I may be making a trade for a 10/22T with the hammer forged spiral barrel and brown laminated stock. I just shot a rimfire silhouette match this weekend and happened to be teamed up with a gentleman with the same model, but his had a gloss blued barrel. I think those came out first, then the matte blued, then the tactical target (with the hogue stock), then the stainless version. Is that the correct order? When did the matte blued models come out? Any pro's/con's on the matte version?

Thanks,

Stump

I've got the Target Tactical. Without a doubt, it's matte. Late 2015 vintage.

Preference? Really no. But the matte finish is easier to keep up when it's a rifle that sees a lot of use. On the other hand, a beautiful blued finish with some obvious wear, has character. 8)

If you're hunting, a shiny blue finish can be very reflective

chet15

Hawkeye
At one point, all of Ruger's 10/22 blue steel was matte finish. They did that for a while then it went away.
Chet15