RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 1:36 pm 
Hawkeye

Four different brands of ammo are fired through a 10/22 RUGER to see what size groups they would produce. :wink:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_O8EIjg3-UQ
Is Expensive 22 Ammo Worth It?
AP2020 Outdoors
Published on May 12, 2021
3 hours ago

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:12 am 
Hawkeye

Depends on whether you're betting $$ on the shots. Obviously his 10-22 liked the ELEY.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:06 am 
Buckeye

Great ammo is worth it if you intend to do great things.

But, his results with the first 3 brands indicates to me that he didn't take care with shot placement or trigger control. The group with the Ely indicates he can shoot & his rifle is up to the task. But notice how his timing & concentration changes with the last group. Seemed obvious to me.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:49 am 
Hawkeye

I've said it many times, and probably will again: Every gun and ammo combination is a law unto itself, and there's no way to know what any particular gun "likes" without testing it. The gun doesn't care what your ammo costs. And all this is especially true with .22.

About a decade ago I tested 6 kinds of ammo carefully through about 20 different rifles. The cheap (then) Federal bulk stuff was consistently the least accurate, finishing 6th out of 6 in probably 2/3 of the guns. The most accurate rifle I shot was--no surprise--a scoped Anschutz, which easily finished the tests in #1 spot. But you'll never guess what the Anschutz grouped best with: The cheap Fed bulk that every other gun hated. Go figger. :shock:

As I said, shoot YOUR ammo in YOUR gun and see what works best for YOU. There's really no other way.

Social Distancing since 1954.

#Barack'sLiesMatter

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:13 am 
Hawkeye

It's only worth it to the folks that think it is, me included.

I am an enthusiast of little tiny groups. If I can cut my 10-shot groups down to dime-size or less at 50 yards, I'm willing to pay for it. If I'm out shooting varmints that are dollar-bill size, then run of the mill ammo is quite sufficient. 8)

I've performed the same test many times. i've discovered the more you pay, the smaller the groups.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 11:07 am 
Hawkeye

I had one session a decade or so ago that told me the variation by brand can be
quite large.

I was shooting a 77/22 from sandbags. The Winchester Silver Box ammo was
printing half inch groups at 50 yards. I was happy. - - - One of the guys at the
range was extolling the virtues of Federal and insisted I run ten through the 77/22.
OK, what the heck. Free ammo? I'll try it. The group I got with the Federal was
twice the size I was getting from the Winchester, AND a full inch lower on the target.

Golly-Gee-Whiz . . . . I wonder if that is why I never bought any Federal after that?

~ The only time success comes before work, is in the dictionary.
~ Don't handicap your children by making things too easy.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:14 pm 
Single-Sixer

Snake45 wrote:
I've said it many times, and probably will again: Every gun and ammo combination is a law unto itself, and there's no way to know what any particular gun "likes" without testing it. The gun doesn't care what your ammo costs.

Very true, although the match ammo is normally much more consistent. You'll find one gun may prefer Eley, while another RWS, but you'll seldom find any gun that will shoot cheap promo ammo as well as any of the match ammo. The ammo just isn't loaded to the same variances.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:43 pm 
Hunter

diyj98 wrote:
Snake45 wrote:
I've said it many times, and probably will again: Every gun and ammo combination is a law unto itself, and there's no way to know what any particular gun "likes" without testing it. The gun doesn't care what your ammo costs.

Very true, although the match ammo is normally much more consistent. You'll find one gun may prefer Eley, while another RWS, but you'll seldom find any gun that will shoot cheap promo ammo as well as any of the match ammo. The ammo just isn't loaded to the same variances.

And even the expensive stuff has significant variations between different lots. Some vendors even test the different lot numbers and post the results on their websites. Not sure how much that really proves - except what lots their test rifle(s) preferred.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:31 am 
Hawkeye

Pat-inCO wrote:
I was shooting a 77/22 from sandbags. The Winchester Silver Box ammo was
printing half inch groups at 50 yards. I was happy. - - - One of the guys at the
range was extolling the virtues of Federal and insisted I run ten through the 77/22.
OK, what the heck. Free ammo? I'll try it. The group I got with the Federal was
twice the size I was getting from the Winchester, AND a full inch lower on the target.

The inch low is a matter of sight adjustment, but the group size is another matter altogether. :wink:

I have more than one .22 rifle, and see differences in ammo preference between them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:00 pm 
Single-Sixer

Cost/reward. If I'm hunting squirrels (people do that) a box of 50 will last a year or two. If I'm teaching a kid to shoot that's a different world. That's why I've accumulated 30 boxes over the years.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:21 am 
Hunter

Cheap bulk pack ammo has far more duds than better ammo too. I don’t use cheap bulk ammo for matches because it is less accurate and too meany dead rounds.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:43 am 
Single-Sixer

If your goal is to consistently shoot the smallest groups you can...yes.

If your goal is to plink...then no. Bulk ammo will likely work just fine for you.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:36 pm 
Hawkeye

Ale-8(1) wrote:
The inch low is a matter of sight adjustment,
but the group size is another matter altogether. :wink:

Pray tell . . . . . If it is working for MY Winchester,
WHY would I readjust for ten rounds of Federal?

~ The only time success comes before work, is in the dictionary.
~ Don't handicap your children by making things too easy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:48 pm 
Buckeye

I shoot 22 benchrest and even the most expensive ammo will shoot different in different guns i was having scope issues one day a decided to save my good stuff and play with some old Remington standard velocity target that i had and after fixing the scope issue i found that the Remington target was almost as good as the $16 a box Eley as far as the point of impact change even the expensive ammo will change velocity between lots also different coatings like wax or being copper washed will make a difference

Gramps

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:29 am 
Hunter

Pat-inCO wrote:
Ale-8(1) wrote:
The inch low is a matter of sight adjustment,
but the group size is another matter altogether. :wink:

Pray tell . . . . . If it is working for MY Winchester,
WHY would I readjust for ten rounds of Federal?

Just a guess, but you might be missing the point here.

:D

Monty