10/22 Rebarrel - Ruger Target Barrel or Aftermarket?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Enigma

Hunter
So, I'm wanting to pimp out my 10/22, and of course I want a heavy barrel. For those who own or have shot one extensively, how does the Ruger 10/22T compare accuracy-wise to one with a lower end aftermarket barrel? I don't feel the need to drop $4-500 on a top-end barrel. Now in all likelihood, I will probably send the barreled action to Randy at CPC and have him do his tuneup on it, regardless of what barrel I end up using. This includes adjusting headspace and rechambering.

recumbent

Buckeye
I would use a Green mountain barrel, especially since you are going to send it to Randy.
Randy does Excellent work, He has done rifles and pistols for me.

CraigC

Hawkeye
IMHO, money spent on cheap aftermarket barrels is money wasted. If you want it to be accurate, it takes a good barrel. By "good", I mean KIDD, Clark, Shilen, Lilja, etc.. That said, you don't need a heavy barrel for it to be accurate. My favorite is the Clark mid-weight barrel. It's heavier than stock but not a boat anchor like a steel heavy barrel.

45flattop

Single-Sixer
CraigC said:
IMHO, money spent on cheap aftermarket barrels is money wasted. If you want it to be accurate, it takes a good barrel. By "good", I mean KIDD, Clark, Shilen, Lilja, etc.. That said, you don't need a heavy barrel for it to be accurate. My favorite is the Clark mid-weight barrel. It's heavier than stock but not a boat anchor like a steel heavy barrel.

I have to agree with Craig here on those brand names, I have a KIDD on mine
that I got years ago and it drives tacks better than some Kimber 82s and one
or two Winchester 52s that shoot at our range.

I should add that the KIDD .920 barrel I have is also made on a Lothar Walther
blank which may well be why it shoots so well.

Enigma

Hunter
I'm seriously considering a Feddersen barrel right now. They're made on Lothar-Walther blanks, and have an excellent reputation for accuracy. Not as expensive as a Lilja or some others, but exceptionally accurate. I'm not going to compete with the rifle - at least not with anyone but myself, most likely. I just can't justify spending $4-500 for a barrel.

CraigC

Hawkeye
You don't have to spend $500 on a barrel. The Clark mid-weight and Shilen sporter barrels I mentioned are ~$250.

Enigma

Hunter
CraigC said:
You don't have to spend $500 on a barrel. The Clark mid-weight and Shilen sporter barrels I mentioned are ~$250.

Agreed, and Feddersen barrels start at $145.

https://fjfeddersen.com/product-category/barrels/ruger/

Doug in Alaska

Bearcat
I have a WhistlePig on mine and it makes head shots on snowshoe hare very easy. The barrels definitely qualifies as a pimped out barrel as it's fluted with red flutes.

Latest posts