How many of you....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dave Nowlin

Bearcat
have had issues with a Mark IV with screws loosening from firing? I watched a You Tube video where some guy was trashing the pistols due to sights and other thing coming loose. He said he didn't want to use blue loc-tite on his gun. It took me a few minutes to loc-tite all screws on mine. No big deal.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Dave Nowlin said:
No big deal.
Gasp.jpg

You, you, you mean you did problem determination, took appropriate
action, and it worked? :shock:

:D

Welcome to the forum. :wink:

Dave Nowlin

Bearcat
Well that's a matter of opinion. I always loc-tite the screws on any scope I mount. If there is a vibration of some sort in these pistols that causes them to shoot screws loose, it simply is no big deal to blue loc-tite them. What I was trying to discover with this post is are any of you having this problem. The guy who made the you tube video indicated it was a common problem.

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
Dave Nowlin said:
Well that's a matter of opinion. I always loc-tite the screws on any scope I mount. If there is a vibration of some sort in these pistols that causes them to shoot screws loose, it simply is no big deal to blue loc-tite them. What I was trying to discover with this post is are any of you having this problem. The guy who made the you tube video indicated it was a common problem.

Original post did not state it was scope mount screws loosening. That is not really problem with pistol. Any scope mount can work loose.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
I've taken many a gun apart and mounted some scopes in my time and I can't remember ever using loc tite

JohnFLand

Bearcat
The OP mentioned sights, not scopes. But screws come loose -- example: Congress. Tighten them, and use loctite if needed. It ain't a real problem.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
JohnFLand said:
The OP mentioned sights, not scopes. But screws come loose -- example: Congress. Tighten them, and use loctite if needed. It ain't a real problem.

I believe the op said screws loosening, not sights. But then mentions watching a video about sights and other things coming loose and ruining some guys gun. Which makes no sense to me, how are loose screws going to ruin a gun?

But that's for trying to explain to me what I read.

Shotter11

Bearcat
I have had problems with loose screws after I bought mine. I don't have a scope on mounted but I snugged up the mounting screws as they were coming loose. I removed the safety on the right side of the gun and put lock tight on the screw there to hold it in place, but I don't feel this is a fault of Ruger.
The biggest problem I have had is the rear sight elevation screw was loosening and my rear sight would creep up. I would say when I adjust it, the clicks do not feel as positive as they are on my other Rugers. I took the sight apart and cleaned it, but did not find anything wrong. They screw seems to be holding a little better after reassembly and limited shooting has shown no movement. I need to do more shooting before I declare it fixed

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
It's always an excellent idea to clean the threads involved with ALL sights and optics bases with an oil displacing solvent. Then, a drop or two of Loctite, is NEVER a mistake, especially for scope base and sight screws. Scope ring screws, not so much.

Ruger Mark pistol front sights are notorious for having front sight screws work loose on the target versions. That's why I prefer to use torx screws these days for scope base and sight screws. They are much more easily torqued without creating cam-out of the driver bit and possibly ruining the screw socket:

gk5cEgcl.jpg

Once you see how well the torx screws hold with a dab of Loctite on oil free threads, you'll never go backward again.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Dave Nowlin said:
have had issues with a Mark IV with screws loosening from firing? I watched a You Tube video where some guy was trashing the pistols due to sights and other thing coming loose. He said he didn't want to use blue loc-tite on his gun. It took me a few minutes to loc-tite all screws on mine. No big deal.

You're absolutely correct, it doesn't take but a few minutes to clean screw threads of any oil with a quick spray of "parts & brake cleaner", apply a dab of #242 'serviceable' Locktite, and then tighten the screws involved.

I've read your post a couple of times.............I can't find the claim that you mentioned any guns being ruined by sights being loose. So, I agree 100% with the 'correct' process you are using, which doesn't hurt a dang thing but only makes your set-up BETTER!

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Every Mk II owner I've known has had front sight screws work loose, myself included. Yes, blue Loc-Tite does the trick, but I'm with another poster: I paid Ruger enough money to "do it right" and they didn't.

The screw which holds the cylinder release catch on my GP 100 also responded well to blue Loc-Tite, on the second try. Apparently I was too stingy with the brake cleaner first time around. Again, I paid Ruger enough to... (sound like a broken record?)

Rick C

eveled

Hawkeye
Welcome to the forum David.

No experience with the mkIV pistols. I have a few mkII pistols. I like to use a product called vibratite vc3 thread locker. It goes on the screw threads then is allowed to dry before assembly. Then it is permanent. Meaning you never have to reapply it. Loosen and tighten as many times as you want it still holds.

I use it on my knife handles too.