Mark I from 1977

Help Support Ruger Forum:

27 Man

Bearcat
Just got home from the Tulsa Wannenmacher show. I found a Mark I that left the factory in 1977. I got the box and papers with it. The gun appears unfired. Not a mark on it anywhere. It only came with one magazine and I would like to get at least one more. The reviews on the new ones that Ruger is selling on various sites as well as their's are not that encouraging. Any of you have any experience with these mags? I have a Mark III but don't know if they are compatible. I would try it but it is at another location. Any advice?

hittman

Staff member
Put a WTB ad in the Classifieds here. One will pop up shortly.

sounds like a nice gun, sad part is back then the MK I ( or even the standard autos) came with ONLY one magazine....that being the double ( two ) slots on the mag body and the chrome ,metal base.......the grip frame on your gun is the A-100
These older mags can be found on line ( ebay) or at gun shows and are a bit more costly than the similar, useable ,later Mark II mags with the plastic bottoms and as noted above these MK II mags can be used in your gun,,,,they hold one extra round, ,but do NOT "hold open" the bolt on the last shot...you want to hold the bolt "open"on your gun, pull it back and push the safety button up to lock it back. Keep in mind some of the newerr, later Mark II mags with the larger follower button, can drag, cause them to hang up in some EARLY MK I ( and standard) autos

ranger1

Buckeye
I purchased (2) MKI magazines from shopruger.com about a year ago and both of them have worked great for me.

http://shopruger.com/Mark-I-9-Round-Magazine/productinfo/90062/

BTW, my Ruger is a 1972 model.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
contender said:
The MKIII will not work. Get a Ruger factory magazine for your gun. A MKII can work too.

27 man.... odd though it may sound, I haven't tried the MK II mag in a MK I. Feed lips were improved for the MK II magazine, making it a natural wherever it works.

By any measure, the Ruger MK II is a real high point in .22 pistol refinement, with the MK II magazine contributing.
David Bradshaw

edlmann

Blackhawk
ranger1 said:
I purchased (2) MKI magazines from shopruger.com about a year ago and both of them have worked great for me.
http://shopruger.com/Mark-I-9-Round-Magazine/productinfo/90062/
BTW, my Ruger is a 1972 model.
The only difference between those Mark I magazines and the Mark II magazines is the follower. The follower of your Mark I mag can be modified easily to add an extra round of capacity.

Cut on the red line:

Uosoibw.jpg

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
27 Man said:
Just got home from the Tulsa Wannenmacher show. I found a Mark I that left the factory in 1977. I got the box and papers with it. The gun appears unfired. Not a mark on it anywhere. It only came with one magazine and I would like to get at least one more. The reviews on the new ones that Ruger is selling on various sites as well as their's are not that encouraging. Any of you have any experience with these mags? I have a Mark III but don't know if they are compatible. I would try it but it is at another location. Any advice?

I spent one whole afternoon trying ALL the various magazines that Ruger has offered with all their versions of the Mark pistols. I still have my very first Ruger Standard RST4:
JdyE95El.jpg

I have 2 original magazines with the solid bottoms for this pistol. Neither work as well as the newer style very similar to the Mark II magazines, I just need to move the follower button over to the right side of the magazine. I tried the very same thing using a Ruger Mark III magazine, and it required a little bit of wiggling around, but it did go into the grip frame and it did fire all 10 rounds.
One thing I do recommend, and it only involves a slight inconvenience, is to replace the magazine latch/release with either a Mark II style or an aftermarket version from Ranch Products. The original magazine latch has a very small radius on it's exposed end. With the newer style magazines that edge will drop into the gap between the grip frame and the magazine base and the magazine will hang up until you push the release all the way backward. The Mark II style magazine release has a larger radius that will slide right over that gap and allow the magazine to drop out.