Ammoland article on the venerable Single Six. A nice read.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tallbald

Buckeye
I guess it's OK to discuss other shooting website's articles here. This evening I was catching up on shooting articles when I came across the Ammoland article on the Single Six, one of the most popular .22 revolvers ever made. I sure love mine and in a posting by me some time back, I shared my plan to gift my oldest granddaughter (yes, via her approving and careful parents) one this fall. She's the coon hunter and coon dog showing granddaughter.
Anyway, the writer commented on some good groups he was able to shoot with his Single Six. Made me think about last fall when I was shooting honest to goodness one inch groups at 35 yards with my garden variety 6.5 inch stainless steel Single Six using just CCI Mini Mag hollow points. Granted, this Single Six is scoped with a Weaver 2X pistol scope (affordable, very clear and has never let me down) on a B-Square no drill base, and I was shooting from a sandbag rest, but I was astounded by the consistent groups I was getting with hunting ammo! And maybe just everything including "the stars" aligned that morning. Dunno. But it sure made me feel great!
I wonder if I simply got an unusually accurate Single Six specimen or if other shooters are experiencing such good groups. I cannot hunt any longer because of spine problems and walking troubles so the accuracy of this Single Six is, I guess, wasted on me. But I sure enjoy this little stainless 6.5 inch sixgun. Slow and deliberate loading but I don't hurry any more at the range anyway.
I'd be interested in hearing about other's Single Six results.
Good things wished for all. Don

I have 5 single sixes. Some are accurate and a couple of them aren't at all. But I've never had anything less than a 4 inch group at 25 yards with the best of them. I've tried every type of ammunition I can find, and from a rest or two handed, it doesn't seem to matter.

One I had professionally re-blued and now it does shoot better than before. I think my most accurate one has the stainless Bisley grip on the blued frame. It still, I'm looking at a 4 inch group.

BUT! I do love shooting them. They are such a joy to shoot. Not too heavy, one old model, one stainless, and two blue, and then the Bisley gripped model. I would buy another regardless of their accuracy.

I also have two Bearcats. One got "accurized" by David Clements, trigger job and tightened up. It's pretty accurate, very accurate actually. I'm impressed when I take it out shooting.

I have a variety of semi auto's in rimfire. They are one inch or better at 25 yards.

phonejack

Single-Sixer
In 1965 my wife and I married. For Christmas that year she gave me a Super Single Six. I've still got it. Still got the wife too !
P.S. Pistol and wife still have all the original parts

My first Single Six was a 20 pre-fix 6-1/2" 22/22Mag I purchased NIB still have it, sad to say the box got put up next to wood fence post and shot the Ruger emblem out of it, did not need a box I had a holster rig for it. The rig does not fit any more after 47 years.
It has claimed my a critter over the years! But I have purchased many more 3 screws & New Models since.

eveled

Hawkeye
It's the gun I grew up listing after. My fathers generation spoke so highly of them.

I've always thought the only reason the .22 mag stayed around was because of the single six convertible. I know it sold a lot of companion rifles.

PLEASE explain to me how a reblue increases the accuracy? :? :?
I can't explain it, but it does, I promise. Perhaps it is because the gunsmith took the pistol apart and put it back together tighter? Or, I've also wondered if perhaps he didn't plug the cylinders, and the bluing added just enough thickness to tighten up the chambers? Both scenarios are indeed possible.

But here, everyone has said they love their single six, and have had them forever, but did anyone comment on their accuracy?

Kevin, I have had a bunch of Single Sixes and their accuracy varies a lot from gun to gun and ammo to ammo. But I've decided that most of the accuracy issues are mine, not the gun's. One of the few true things that Lance Armstrong (I wish he had a different surname!) said was "It's not about the bike" or in this case the wheelgun. I notice that as MY "original equipment" wears out, my handguns' accuracy also wears out....

And I wish that posters who post "accuracy results" would give a little more information. For example, accuracy results from a rigid pistol rest are kinda different from those by a shooter standing up on his hind legs and shooting one-handed in a brisk wind at 20 degrees of cold. Four inches at 25 yards is OK for most of us in the latter situation. It's never good in the former.

gunzo

Hunter
If I got down to owning just 6 firearms, a Single Six would be one of them. One might still be around if I got down to 2 or 3. A very important/useful/dependable part of your kit.

The accuracy is usually acceptable, just a bit harder to learn to shoot to it's potential, & it won't break the bank while learning it.

BrewsterII

Bearcat
Mike Armstrong said:
Kevin, I have had a bunch of Single Sixes and their accuracy varies a lot from gun to gun and ammo to ammo. But I've decided that most of the accuracy issues are mine, not the gun's. One of the few true things that Lance Armstrong (I wish he had a different surname!) said was "It's not about the bike" or in this case the wheelgun. I notice that as MY "original equipment" wears out, my handguns' accuracy also wears out....

And I wish that posters who post "accuracy results" would give a little more information. For example, accuracy results from a rigid pistol rest are kinda different from those by a shooter standing up on his hind legs and shooting one-handed in a brisk wind at 20 degrees of cold. Four inches at 25 yards is OK for most of us in the latter situation. It's never good in the former.

This is not long distance but, it was free standing at 10 yards with a 1970 Ruger SC5 Single Six shooting .22 Magnums. 18 shots total. CCI .22 Magnum hollow points.

Using a NRA B-3, 50ft rapid fire pistol target.

And, I am old and shaky, LOL

IMG_0056-L.jpg

IMG_0066-L.jpg