Need help- school me on Old Model Single Six Cylinders

Help Support Ruger Forum:

9mmTed

Bearcat
Down by the Green River where Paradise Lay, Kentuc
I've tried to search the board, done google searches, and still don't feel I have good info on what works and what doesn't. My issue is I finally found a nice example of an Old Model Single Six from around 1962. I don't actually have it in my hands yet, should arrive any day. The issue is it is a convertible that only came with the magnum cylinder, and I of course would like to find the right 22LR cylinder to pair with this. I have a tendency to make things harder than they have to be, but I've also purchased things that were supposed to work, and didn't.

So.... what do I need to be looking for? Will any old model 22LR cylinder work? Are there several variations with different cylinder lengths, or are they fairly consistent on the single sixes? I think I know the answers to some of these, but I know there's folks on here that know far more. So open the floodgates, fill me with knowledge, and hopefully I won't screw this up.

Thanks in advance!

contender

Ruger Guru
In general,, most OM cylinders are built the same,, BUT,,, the OAL,, from the ratchet to the front of the boss can be different by enough to where they don't fit. When looking for an OM cylinder,, the biggest thing is OAL. Get one the same as your 22 mag,, or a few thousands longer. You can hone down the boss to make it fit. Timing is almost never an issue. I buy OM cylinder anytime I can when reasonable. I have been able to add a correct cylinder to guns I later buy which are missing the spare one.

One thing to keep in mind for your old model 22 is that the early 22 cal cylinders will have a firing pin groove all the way around the rear of the cylinder ,from chamber to chamber..........and the cylinder will have flutes..offhand that cylinder should be approx. 1.620" overall length....hope this helps

9mmTed

Bearcat
Thanks guys, it does help. I just took delivery of the gun today, and I'm not sure the convertible is a convertible. I'll be doing some digging, but the serial number is 8162xx, and the only thing I've found shows it as a 1969 magnum only, although it's not marked magnum. It's a 6 1/2" bbl, and is marked Ruger 22 Cal above Single Six. I'll be spending some Google time later, already read Bill Hamm's info on Gunbroker.

contender

Ruger Guru
The Magnum marked only guns were made between 1959 & 1964. After that,, most were convertible. If the serial number is 8162xx,, it falls into the Single-Six convertible status from 1968. It should have a drift only rear sight.

9mmTed said:
Thanks guys, it does help. I just took delivery of the gun today, and I'm not sure the convertible is a convertible. I'll be doing some digging, but the serial number is 8162xx, and the only thing I've found shows it as a 1969 magnum only, although it's not marked magnum.
That is a 1968 model and is probably a convertible. If you have the magnum cylinder the last three of the serial number should be ascribed on the face of the cylinder. Never say never with a Ruger BUT the "magnum only" were serial number 300001-394740.

9mmTed

Bearcat
Fox Mike said:
That is a 1968 model and is probably a convertible. If you have the magnum cylinder the last three of the serial number should be ascribed on the face of the cylinder. Never say never with a Ruger BUT the "magnum only" were serial number 300001-394740.

Thanks, I did check last night and the magnum cylinder does have the last 3 ascribed. It was suggested I look at my Ruger and His Guns book around page 322, but the list of numbers provided are incomplete, with the closest number provided in the magnum list. I completely understand the "never say never" with Ruger, and enjoy learning the details.

contender

Ruger Guru
The book you used,, is not complete or always correct. You need to subscribe to the RENE. The Reference Guide from them is INVALUABLE.
Contact member chet15 here to join. Best money you'll ever spend if you enjoy Rugers!

9mmTed

Bearcat
Contender, that is always something I've planned to do, but just haven't gotten around to. I did pick up 30 some-odd issues from the late 90s thru early 2000s, and have enjoyed what I've read. You're urging is the straw that broke the camels back, i'll shoot him a PM right now.

27 Man

Bearcat
I have been in your situation recently. I inherited an old model 9 1/2" Single Six from a child hood friend. He got it for Christmas in 1963 and we murdered many dirt clods and pop cans over the years with it. When I got it, the LR was not to be found. I located an old model LR cylinder for it and went to work on the boss with a file. Not being particularly adept at gun smithing, I took it to a retired machinist/gun smith friend of mine to complete the job. The LR cylinder will have a raised rim on the back side where the magnum cylinder does not. My friend machined a few thounsands off the rim and it fit perfectly. Timing was spot on.