Thoughts on the value of a Ruger Mark ll pistol

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jjas

Single-Sixer
I purchased a Ruger Mark ll pistol today. It's a stainless KMK678 model 00184 (serial #225-87XXX) . It came with the box, two mags, a lock and all of the original paperwork. The envelope with the fired .22 casing has a date of 1/16/2004.

The lady who sold it, said it was her husband's (who passed away recently) and that he had never fired it. I don't know if that is true, but it does appear unfired (other than the test shell).

Does anyone have an idea of what it may be worth? I paid a little less than $300.00 for it.

jjas

Single-Sixer
Perhaps I should clarify something. I purchased the pistol from a local dealer who told me what the lady (who sold them her husbands collection of nearly 100 firearms) said about the pistol. How did she know? He (her husband) apparently put post it notes in with certain guns and in this one, it said "never fired".

And I paid $299.57 (including tax) for it.

jjas

Single-Sixer
Now that my reputation has been restored, does anyone have any idea what a pistol like this may be worth? I've seen them listed anywhere from $400-$600. If I could make a few bucks, I'll sell it. If not, I'll keep it and shoot it.

45flattop

Single-Sixer
If its the KMK678GC model known as the Competition Target MKII, I wouldn't let that
slip out of my hands for anything, those MKIIs are the primo incarnation in my opinion
of all the MK series, for sure better than the lawyered up MKIIIs and I'm withholding
opinion on the new MKIV since I personally believe they made wholly unnecessary
alterations to the design, not in the method of disassembly so much as in the magazine
release area, I never found the heel latch at all objectionable in ANY way, change
for change sake leaves me cold as Antarctica.

Having said all that, I found an identical MKII to that one that had also gone
unfired due to the original owner's unfortunate demise and I bought it off of
his estate for $500 and was happy to pay that to say the least. I put a VQ
trigger and sear in mine and I now have a specimen that shoots all 10 in
the clip with decent ammunition under a penny off of a stable bench rest,
this at 75 yards.

Yours is a tad newer than mine according to the serial #, mine is 233-58XXX
and also came with the two original magazines, box, paperwork and fired case
that dates it to 2002. Should you ever decide to sell it, send me a PM here,
I'd love to have a 2nd one(if it still has the original grips with the thumbrest
checkered laminate.)

I am really beginning to think value has a lot to do with location. A while back a friend from Idaho came to visit. I took him to a LGS here in Dallas. I think their prices are good. He thought they were pretty high.

So for me here in Dallas, I would think closer to 600 for your pistol would be about average. This higher price because of the condition and paperwork. An example well shot, no box etc. might be around $400. So....if you keep the paperwork and shoot it and keep it clean, you could still sell it for a profit in a year or two.

Or list it here in the classifieds....

I also think the Mark II's are holding their value, mostly because of the soured feelings around the Mark 3 and the loaded chamber indicator among other things.

Kevin said:
I am really beginning to think value has a lot to do with location.

I also think the Mark II's are holding their value...

Those two statements definitely match my observations, in my part of the world.

That said, I'll repeat what I've often heard said here: "They're still out there!" :p

Teacher649

Bearcat
I have a MKII and love it. I've had it for over 20 years and had never cleaned it until last month. Not kidding. I was worried about the disassembly and assembly of the pistol. Watched a few videos on it and took it apart and put it back together. No problem. Over those 20 years, it shot like a champ!
Great little pistol

mohavesam

Hawkeye
PS note...
If you see a profit opportunity, go ahead and swap it for cash.

- Just don't expect to go out and find another for near the same price. Those deals are few n far between in my travels.

I'd shoot the thing weekly and plan on passing it to an heir.

Teacher649

Bearcat
mohavesam said:
PS note...
If you see a profit opportunity, go ahead and swap it for cash.

- Just don't expect to go out and find another for near the same price. Those deals are few n far between in my travels.

I'd shoot the thing weekly and plan on passing it to an heir.

That's what I'm doing with mine. Both my grandsons and my son like shooting this pistol.

jjas

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the responses.

It's sitting in my safe and I'm debating whether to sell it, or enjoy it.

jjas

Single-Sixer
Just thought I would bring this thread to a close.

I sold the Mark ll and purchased a Mark ll 22/45 stainless pistol out of the same collection. It was manufactured in 1993 and also appeared to be unfired.

I've taken it out a couple of times to the range and it's been flawless to this point.

Thanks for the update, do you prefer the 22/45...most of us would NOT have gone in that direction but it was your choice and I am just curious as to why.

What model of the 22/45...is it by any chance the 5 1/4" tapered barrel...if so, then I would have done it too!!

jjas

Single-Sixer
NH Rugerman said:
Thanks for the update, do you prefer the 22/45...most of us would NOT have gone in that direction but it was your choice and I am just curious as to why.

What model of the 22/45...is it by any chance the 5 1/4" tapered barrel...if so, then I would have done it too!!

It is a 5 1/4 tapered barrel.

I sold the Mark ll for enough that the profits covered most of what the 22/45 cost me.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
"If its the KMK678GC model known as the Competition Target MKII, I wouldn't let that
slip out of my hands..."

In my experience MK II barrels, leastwise target barrels whatever the length, are cut from the same stock. Accuracy tends to the superb. Am not a position to compare directly with MK I, MK III, or MK IV.

Another personal observation, thanks to plastic frame beneath steel barrel assembly, the 22/45 is top heavy, making it mush more difficult to shoot accurately. I do not care for a faux 1911 grip, especially when it's not on a 1911----without balance of the original.

All Ruger .22 auto pistols can use knowledgeable trigger work; intrinsic accuracy of a MK II Target (any barrel length) deserves Bo-Mar sights. Otherwise, the MK II represents a Mt. Everest peak in auto pistol development. The heel-clip magazine catch won't throw away your magazine. It doesn't need a strip of sheet metal borrowed from a coffee can to tell you the chamber is loaded. It doesn't need administrative indigestion caused by a magazine disconnector.

The MK II is a instrument to be played.
David Bradshaw