Bedding a 77/22 stock?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

smackdab22

Bearcat
Hello,

I am considering bedding my Target Grey 77/22 stock and hoping for some advice. Should I use pillars or just epoxy bedding? Has anybody experienced problems with floating the barrel? I have sent the rifle to Randy at CPC and want to compliment his work by fixing up the stock.

Thanks in advance.

Snake45

Hawkeye
First thing I want to ask you is, when was your 77/22 Target made? If it's fairly new--last few years--it might be worthwhile proceeding with bedding. If it's an older one, probably not. For years they built these with "generous" chambers, which plays hell with accuracy. At some point--I don't know exactly when--they started tightening up the chambers (probably due to complaints) and accuracy improved.

My very first post on this board (shortly after the internet was invented) was about the poor accuracy of my (1999) 77/22V. Despite years of tinkering with it (and its scope, etc.), the best it will shoot is 5/8" at 50 yards with its very favorite ammo. I have a bone-stock Remington 581 and a bone-stock old Winchester 69A which will both outshoot it.

I love almost everything about my 77/22V except how it actually shoots. A tackdriver it ain't. :cry:

smackdab22

Bearcat
I purchased this rifle new a few years ago. I was able to get it before all the new ones evaporated and then doubled in price. As I mentioned, I had tuned up by CPC and he didn't find any "bad" with the barrel and action that I'm aware off.

Thanks

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
smackdab22 said:
Hello,

I am considering bedding my Target Grey 77/22 stock and hoping for some advice. Should I use pillars or just epoxy bedding? Has anybody experienced problems with floating the barrel? I have sent the rifle to Randy at CPC and want to compliment his work by fixing up the stock.

Thanks in advance.

Your rifle has a laminated stock, so it should not need pillars. Pillars do help with walnut and birch stocks that have open capillaries that can collapse when the action screws are tightened. That will cause bedding to be erratic. Laminated stocks have no open capillaries in the wood and are made from layers of wood glued together. Very solid and stable.
The advantage of epoxy bedding is, you will create a solid fit of receiver to stock, with no shifting. Is your barrel floated now?

The barrel 'nodes' are nothing like those of what a centerfire cartridge will reproduce, but a pressure point a couple of inches back of the forearm tip in the barrel channel will arrest any vibration that exists, and may help with better groups. The pad can always be removed if nothing changes.
What sort of groups are you getting currently?

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
daveg.inkc said:
Mine is an early 77/22. It shoots tighter groups than my 10/22 Target.

I have a couple Ruger 77/22 early rifles also. Chambers, throat and leade in both rifles meet SAAMI standards perfectly, in both factory barrels. These rifles have walnut stocks, have been pillar bedded, pressure pads in the barrel channels and both have Rifle Basix triggers installed and adjusted to 3-pounds.
Both rifles will shoot ½ inch, 5-shot groups at 75 yards using Norma TAC-22 rimfire ammunition. 75 yards takes care of any squirrel within that range. After that distance, there are no guarantees of getting a decent shot at anything squirrel size in the woods I hunt in.

smackdab22

Bearcat
I haven't done any work to the stock so far, it's the stock that came with the rifle. The barrel is not floated. On a good day I can get 1/2" groups at 50 yards. I usually get 3/4" groups more consistently.

Thanks

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
smackdab22 said:
I haven't done any work to the stock so far, it's the stock that came with the rifle. The barrel is not floated. On a good day I can get 1/2" groups at 50 yards. I usually get 3/4" groups more consistently.

Thanks

Really, that's not all that bad, depending on which ammunition you're using.

Dennis

Snake45

Hawkeye
SGW Gunsmith said:
smackdab22 said:

Thanks

Really, that's not all that bad, depending on which ammunition you're using.

Dennis
I agree. I've NEVER gotten a single 1/2" group out of mine at 50 with any ammo. Though it will put Federal Champions (and nothing else) into a pretty consistent 5/8".

smackdab22

Bearcat
For me, being able to shoot 1/2" groups only happens on a (really) good day....not easily repeated. Pretty consistently it will shoot 3/4" groups with Federal Match standard velocity. It shoots CCI standard velocity pretty well also.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
If you can find some in your area, or better yet, on line, try some Norma TAC-22 in your rifle. I have four bricks of this ammunition left from the five I originally purchased. The bricks have 3 different lot numbers, but all of it shoots to the same point:

sgTtXBGl.jpg

smackdab22

Bearcat
Yikes! That looks great, I'll have to try some. I've never seen that brand in my area. I go to one store mostly because it's close to where I work and their prices are decent. I buy the Federal Match there. I did see a few varieties of Eley at a Bass Pro Shop near me, but I wasn't a resident of that state (Mass.)and they wouldn't allow me to purchase any. I'll have to go on line and try a few different brands.