RWS sub sonic 22 lr

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I hope I didn't make an error as I just bought a case of this ammo. Sort of spur of the moment purchase but it has excellent reviews and is 25% cheaper than what I'm currently using. Should be just the ticket for zombies and such.

Zombie shootin is generally a short range proposition. Besides, I have Grandkids so 22 ammo goes like water through a broken hose.
With the selection of 22's we have, I have little doubt at least a couple will be OK with this ammo.

ilikerams

Single-Sixer
coach said:
How bad could it be? RWS generally has a good name. Pretty sure I've used it before. Is that a brick or some multiple of bricks?
A case is usually 5000 rounds or 10 bricks. RWS target was all I ever used when I was shooting smallbore silhouette. It shot great for me.

Short range report on the RWS subsonic:
Off the shelf 10-22--accuracy was as good as I can expect using a 2.5x optic. POI was about 1" below the Federal HVHP zero @ 25 yards. Noise was not objectionable for a couple of shots w/o ear plugs.
RAR suppressed--accuracy is on par with it's preferred Aguila subsonic. I got a couple of cloverleafs @25 yards and the POI was close enough to the zero of the Aguila to smack the 2" swingers @ 60 yards. The only sounds were the strike of the firing pin and the bullet strike.
22/45 suppressed-- only 5 shots before getting rained out. POI was close enough to the CCI subsonic zero to allow hitting the 4" swinger @ 60 yards. Perceived sound level same as the CCI subsonic.
There were no failures to feed, fire, or cycle during the short test. The ammo does have an "oily" feel due to the soft lube on the cases. I would recommend extra care to keep the stuff clean during field carry.

Expansion test results: I couldn't tell any diff on a very limited test between the RWS and my "known to work well on varmints" CCI sub-sonic HP when fired through the 4" 22/45 @ 30'. More testing is required to determine if or how much expansion is taking place or if it's just the flatter meplat of the HP nose doing the job.
So far my only concern is the oily feel of the soft wax coating on the cases.