MKII front sight question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
I have some MKII pistols and would like to try a fibre optic front sights on a couple of them.
The ones I want to change are on the 10" target , 6-7/8" Government Target bull barrel and a 6-7/8" target with the heavy tapered barrel .
I have found fibre optic sights that say they will replace the factory sights.
Some say they are for the bull barrel.
Some say they are for the tapered barrel but don't specify whether it is for the smaller tapered barrel or the heavy tapered barrel.

My question is ,
are all sights on tapered barrels the same ?
does the 10" barrel and the 6-7/8" tapered barrel use the same front sight ?

Some of the sights say they will replace all MKII front sights.

Also I would like to know what a good brand to buy is.

hboswell

Bearcat
I have swapped out several of mine to fiber optic and have used two types on the Bull Barrel. The Williams is very nice and comes with front and rear sights, but, it is a little pricey. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005431HUU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 There are also 2 versions of rear sight so you need to get this one for the older mark ll's.
I have also used these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QM4KSAA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and really like them and they come with different colored light tubes. The price fluctuates on them a lot and I have gotten them for around $18. All of the Bull Barrel models use the same front sight.
As for the tapered barrel, swapping that one is not very fun. The tapered barrel has a fixed base and you replace the sight blade by driving out a pin to remove it. I bent the pin and had to order another. Fortunately, the replacement pin is a roll pin and the original is solid. The roll pin is much stronger and easier to work with. Getting the old sight out was a real chore since it had rusted in and after that battle the new sight blade has to be fitted and drilled for the pin. Like I say, not fun, but, I do like the results. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001F0KDP6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

RUT

Single-Sixer
>>The Williams is very nice and comes with front and rear sights<<

These are my choice as well. I have them on a MKll slabside, a MKll Target model, and a MKlV 22/45. They are about as bright as it gets!

contender

Ruger Guru
As noted,, the bull barrels are easy to swap,,, just a screw. The tapered barrels. There is the "Target" model, with adjustable rear sights, and there is the "Standard" with fixed rear sight. The Target model is the 6-7/8" heavy tapered barrel, while the Standard can be 4-5/8" or 6", skinnier barrels. The Standard front sights aren't usually replaced,, and I'm not sure a fiber optic is available for that model. The Target does have them available.
The big difference is the height of the front sight, in relation to the rear sight.

I have used the Hi-Viz fiber optic fronts for years and LOVE them. I can swap out lite pipes to different sizes and either orange or green. When teaching,, it helps a lot!

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Busterswoodshop said:
I have some MKII pistols and would like to try a fibre optic front sights on a couple of them.
The ones I want to change are on the 10" target , 6-7/8" Government Target bull barrel and a 6-7/8" target with the heavy tapered barrel .
I have found fibre optic sights that say they will replace the factory sights.
Some say they are for the bull barrel.
Some say they are for the tapered barrel but don't specify whether it is for the smaller tapered barrel or the heavy tapered barrel.

My question is ,
are all sights on tapered barrels the same ?
does the 10" barrel and the 6-7/8" tapered barrel use the same front sight ?

Some of the sights say they will replace all MKII front sights.

Also I would like to know what a good brand to buy is.

The 10-inch does catalog a unique front sight and then a rear blade width. Many of my customers like these inserts:

OCnNpCel.jpg