Target scope for WMR RPR

Help Support Ruger Forum:

grobin

Blackhawk
What would be a good scope? I've got a Sig Sauer SIERRA3BDX Ballistic Data Xchange Rifle Scope but that's just silly excess!

recumbent

Buckeye
Mueller would be my choice. I have 3 of them they are bright clear and do everything a nikon does at a fraction of the price. One of my Mueller scopes is 10 years old still works great.
http://muelleroptics.com/

We're using a couple of NIKON rimfire scopes 3-9 & 4-12 that work quite well. The bullet drop circles leave the view a bit "busy" but it's not an issue for paper work. Clarity is good enough for our needs and good enough to meet the range needs of the rim fires.

gunzo

Hunter
For the paper I'd wan't to mimic the thousands of bench rest shooters across the country that use 36x & up. Weaver is a good one for the cost, Leupolds are still popular, & the high dollar March will be seen more than you think.
The steel out to 500 would require some repeatable & dependable target knobs & a 6-24 would be poplar.

I don't quite understand why you'd think the Sig would would be silly excess unless it's the silly excess of gadgetry.
They may work out fine, but have yet to be proven in the real world for the long run.

If you already have a Sig, what do you have to loose by trying it ??

wwb

Hunter
gunzo said:
The steel out to 500 would require some repeatable & dependable target knobs & a 6-24 would be poplar.

I'm in complete agreement with this. I would add that a 50mm objective would also be preferable, especially at the higher magnifications, but I don't know if any 24X scope would have anything smaller than 50mm.

grobin

Blackhawk
I'll try the Sig, sounds like it's a little low power though. Just a lot of gadget for a simple job.