.22 semi-auto

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Teacher649

Bearcat
Not sure if this is where this goes, but, I'm looking to purchase a .22 for practice and training my grandkids. I'm really interested in the SR 22, but I've seen and heard of issues with the Takedown lever. It is plastic and is proned to break and slide goes flying! Is this still a problem or has Ruger fixed this issue? Any and all info on this will be appreciated.
Thank you

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
I presume you are referring to the SR22P, or did you mean the SR22R for
Rifle?

Think about your question. If Ruger was still having problems with a given
part on a full production rifle or pistol, do you think they would continue to
produce it in that configuration? I'm thinking not.

Have they put out product that had problems? Unfortunately yes, but they
work quickly to fix the problem on current production, and repair/replace
as necessary those units in the field.

I have an SR22P and had a real problem within the first box of ammo. As
near as I can tell, they test fired with inferior ammunition, until they found
out how many people were having problems. As far as I know that was
an issue only with the early production. Almost a P.S. - - Mine took a
bunch of cleaning and it has run with zero problems since.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I think Ruger fixed the take down lever issue about 4 years ago. Haven't heard anything about any continuing problem with it since 2013, and since I have a SR22 pistol I tend to keep abreast of problems. Same as I do with other guns. In any case if you have a problem with the pistol, Ruger will take care of it.

Recently, I've been following a couple reported minor mechanical issues with regard to Henry BBS (Big Boy Steel) rifles owned by other folks. So far I haven't had any with the one I bought last Fall.

"Thanks guys for info. Think I'm gonna go get one. And I was talking about the pistol"

Just my opinion: the 22/45 is a much better training/learning pistol than the SR22.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Teacher649 said:
Thanks guys for info. Think I'm gonna go get one. And I was talking about the pistol

Also, consider this. The SR22 pistol comes with two grip sizes, so you might want to put that on your "pro" list. It would be nice to have a smaller grip for younger shooters.
After the very first run of SR22 pistols, thereafter the slide lock was fixed and these pistols have been good ever since.

It would be interesting to read, WHY? some think that the SR22 doesn't measure up to being used for training.

unionprez

Single-Sixer
I guess I'm spoiled from shooting my Mark II and Mark I target pistols. I had two SR22's (both barrel lengths) and the accuracy was not close to what the Mark pistols could do. I realize that the SR's were not meant to be a target pistol, but I wasn't used to not shooting small groups with a .22 pistol.

I can barely hold the SR22 well enough to verify zero @ 25'. You've heard my brags about shooting the 22/45 @ 100 YARDS (too many times I suppose). The 22/45(w/o the grip panels) has a slimmer grip more fitting to smaller hands. My 8 YO Granddaughter can get a decent shooting grip on the 22/45 but she's just not comfortable with the SR22.

hittman

Staff member
I've shot the SR22 a bit. Reminds me of a Walther P22 I had a few years back.

My daughter and son in law each have one. They've been shot a great deal the past couple of summers and have proven to be totally reliable and accurate.

btmonnat

Single-Sixer
I just bought one for my wife. She is in process of getting pistol permit. I don't like the sights but changing to fiber optic front. I had a mark lll that spoiled me as far as accuracy but it was the slab side long barrel. Great shooter, only gun I regret getting rid of. The Sr 22 is not even close in accuracy to mark lll but all together different guns. Got the Sr 22 because the grip felt great to her and it was light even with the longer 4.5" barrel. To me it is easy to clean after the first time. Not liking the trigger very well and the safety is backwards of most guns. Wished I would have looked harder at the 22 45. All in all a decent starter hand gun.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I had the sr22 and still consider it under engineered and flawed. I found the grips horrible in that they were instinctive for no one. And for me, at least, it was not reliable..
I have a walther and kept it. It is accurate and works every time.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
btmonnat said:
I just bought one for my wife. She is in process of getting pistol permit. I don't like the sights but changing to fiber optic front. I had a mark lll that spoiled me as far as accuracy but it was the slab side long barrel. Great shooter, only gun I regret getting rid of. The Sr 22 is not even close in accuracy to mark lll but all together different guns. Got the Sr 22 because the grip felt great to her and it was light even with the longer 4.5" barrel. To me it is easy to clean after the first time. Not liking the trigger very well and the safety is backwards of most guns. Wished I would have looked harder at the 22 45. All in all a decent starter hand gun.

The comparison is quite different, concerning sights, barrel length and, above all else, the COST. The SR 22 is what I would consider a fairly close range, plinker and fun-gun. Fur trappers around here have bought 3 of this style Ruger and how much more accuracy do you really need at 10-feet. If someone has hands the size of ping-pong paddles, no, the SR22 will not work without adaptation to the grip to make it larger. Fit, and common sense should play a part, at least somewhat.
The steel frame Ruger Mark pistols are in a class unto themselves, with target sights and longer barrels. I have a "personal" Ruger Mark II Competition Target, and it will compete easily, accuracy wise, with my Smith & Wesson Model 41, when both are stabilized in a Ransom Rest. And, the Ruger Mark II Competition Target is not as finicky about which .22 Long Rifle rimfire ammunition is used in it, whereby the S&W needs to have recoil springs changed if CCI Mini-Mags are used. As was mentioned above, the SR22 pistols, at least the dozen, or so, that I've been involved with, show no certain preference to any specific brand of .22 Long Rifle ammunition.

Skiflydive

Bearcat
I like my SR22 quite a bit. I haven't shot it a lot and it's a little chilly out so it'll be a couple of weeks. No problem with the take down lever. Has shot everything I've run through it so far...Mini Mags, GB's, Thunderbolt etc. I have a Bersa Thunder .22 I like too. It was a Jamb-O-Matic at first but a couple of little tweaks have it running fine too.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
BEST solution: Purchase
1) Good, used Mk-II
2) SR22P
3) 22/45
4) A Mk-IV

You are then assured of having the one each will like the best. :roll: . :wink: . :D

P.S. - Get a full case of ammo to feed that lot. :wink:

Teacher649

Bearcat
Well, I have had my MK II for 20 years and I just bought the SR 22. Waiting for my allowance to get the other two.
Already have about 10,000 rds!
Love these .22s

capecuddy

Bearcat
SR22 was my first gun and I found it to be a good precursor for other semi-auto's. I probably have 2500 rounds through it. It happily fires any .22lr ammo that is not outright defective. It's accuracy is not quite target grade but you sure can learn how to shoot, load, field strip and fire.

I usually have it in the range bag as a warmup gun and when I feel like shooting after my 45, 9mm and 380 run out. I have a ton of .22lr.

I think of it as the semi-auto handgun version of my 10/22 takedown rifle.....just a good basic gun for general purpose use.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
When my wife got involved with her CCW class, I gave her a Walther PPK-S. She didn't like it at all, even with all the sharp edges smoothed and polished. This is what she likes much better:

OrDlIOSl.jpg

Really can't believe any bandido would appreciate 10 rounds in the torso at 27 paces.

mac66

Single-Sixer
I had two SR22s both bought used. Had to send one back to Ruger but they returned it running like a clock. I also have a Mk but the SRs were my favorite 22s to shoot for plinking and as a kit gun...I really, really liked my SR22s...until (and I hate to mention it on a ruger forum) I picked up a Kel Tec P17.

The 17 is about the same size as the SR but is lighter, has a 2.5-3 lb single action trigger, fiber optic front sight, comes with three 16 round mags and a threaded barrel and adapter. The grip is more comfortable to me. And, it's well over a $100 cheaper!* I sold my SR22 after buying the P17 and just sold my other SR22 and ordered another P17. That put me ahead by a couple hundred bucks considering what the SR and P17 costs. My first P17 is accurate and reliable and has over 1000 rounds though it.

As I said, I loved my SR22s but always felt they were overpriced for what you get by about $100. I'm not a big fan of Kel Tec but the P17 is a real sleeper. It is a good deal.

*169.99 @ sportsman's warehouse delivered free to your nearest store.