Red Dot on MK IV Hunter Model

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cobalt402

Single-Sixer
Have any of you owners of the MK IV Hunter model installed a red dot sight on the pistol, if so, what brand/model, and, how do you like it?

c4

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
cobalt402 said:
Have any of you owners of the MK IV Hunter model installed a red dot sight on the pistol, if so, what brand/model, and, how do you like it?

c4

Not on the Hunter version, but I have done so on the Competition Target variation. I'm sorta stuck on the "Ultra-Dot" red dots. They've held up extremely well, battery life in pretty dang long and I get quick sequential target acquisition with those I use. They have a Lifetime warranty, but I don't know that for sure, 'cause my lifetime ain't up yet. :D

GaXOfvWl.jpg

cobalt402

Single-Sixer
SGW: did you consider glass optics prior to choosing a red dot, or, did the benefits of the red dot outweigh any consideration?

contender

Ruger Guru
I own several MK pistols. Some have a scope, some have red dots, some use open sights.

First, decide what your needs are.

A scope is more precise in longer range accuracy.

A red dot can allow faster target acquisition, and is used a lot for "speed" competitions. It is also used for casual plinking etc. Dots come in different sizes,, such as 3MOA,- 6MOA. This means that the dot will cover a 3" diameter at 100 yds, or as much as 6" at 100 yds.

I like red dots a lot,, but for longer distance serious accuracy,, a scope wins.

The "mini-dot optics" may be more difficult to find the dot in sight. Bigger dots are quicker to pick up but less precise as aiming points at distance.
The "tube dot optics" tend to be easier to align with the aiming eye and pick up the dot quicker.
Some scopes are quite difficult to align the aiming eye with the center of the optic and more prone to eye mis-alignment causing some POI shift.
For "range use", there's not much diff between the open top (mini) dot and the tube type dot. For field use/holster carrying, the mini dot is much better but still requires keeping it protected from dust'/precipitation.
I have 3x 22/45 pistols with dot optics (2x open top/mini and 1 closed type) all with 3 MOA dots. A couple of them are "show off" pistols for shooting at ranges that make open sight shooting difficult for many users.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
cobalt402 said:
SGW: did you consider glass optics prior to choosing a red dot, or, did the benefits of the red dot outweigh any consideration?

Yes, and I did use several 'scopes' on Ruger Mark pistols. This KMK10 was used for some hunting and also silhouette shooting out to 100 yards:

scCspRjl.jpg

One doesn't really know how bad they shake until they use a scope like the 2-6x Bushnell on the pistol above. The red-dots work great for speed shooting steel and closer for quick shooting.
Never had ANY issues lining up a scope for targets 50 yards and further away, when using a decent optic. Maybe the cheaper versions have problems, but a 6-power and resting against my bent leg, no problem hitting those little rams.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
I too prefer scope for precision paper punching, but the red dots are great for hunting or casual plinking. I have an Ultradot on a Mark IV and have been well pleased with it.

I have an older Millet SP2 red dot on a suppressed MKIII and I like it a lot, quick acquisition and very accurate for the distances I shoot it. If I were going to shoot a MK series out at long distances then I would probably put a nice scope on it but if I'm shooting those distances then typically the rifle comes out.