Which aperture sight for 10/22?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ditto1958

Blackhawk
I have an otherwise stock 10/22 that I use to shoot at clays and other smallish targets at 100 yards at the range. I'd like to put better sights on it. What kind of peep sights would be good?

Snake45

Hawkeye
I believe Williams makes one that mounts right to the scope mounting holes. You will probably need a higher front sight to go with it. It has a separate aperture you can screw out and use it as a "ghost ring" if you want to experiment with that. (After playing with them a while, I'm not a fan of ghost rings.)

mohavesam

Hawkeye
That is a Williams set resold by Ruger. I've used those from Williams for years and they're great - as good as your eyes.
Buy direct from Williams n save a buck?

Hint: a dab of jbweld on the front sight dovetail will pay for itself.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I bought a variety pack of apertures from Williams,, for a peep sight on my 1892 Winchester. So, I bet a person could change this sight, if needed.

gunzo

Hunter
While you're shopping you might want to look at Tech-sights. They are discussed quite a bit & seem to be very popular for the Appleseed matches.

Back ~1960 my Father purchased a Marlin 39A, took off the "buckhorn" sight and installed a Lyman receiver sight. Then he replaced the usual fixed peep with a Merit Adjustable Aperture. They were popular for target shooting, but there was also a smaller version ideal for squirrel hunting. I still have that rifle, can't ever get rid of it, but can't even begin to think of putting a scope on it even if it would be more useful. To me, it's better to just purchase something else and not mess with perfection.
If you can still find them the threads seemed to match most if not all of the other peep sights at the time.
From the looks of it they may be out of business, but at the bottom left of this page is a very good picture of what I'm talking about.

Not trying to head off into the weeds, BUT. I looked at aperture sights as a more precise option vs the standard 10-22 open sights and decided there wasn't much gained vs a good quality low X scope. As I've aged, I realize the scope was a far better option.