Suggestions for after market items

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mikein

Single-Sixer
I recently bought a MK IV Tactical and have put several hundred rounds through it. It's great little pistol, but I was wondering, with all the after-market goodies available out there, which ones do you folks think are worth the investment? I'm a casual shooter, using my MK IV for plinking, family fun, chicken coop protection, and dispatching animals while running my trap lines.

wwb

Hunter
Volquartsen trigger, hammer, and sear. Done...... although, for a trapline gun, I'd recommend also picking up a 4" standard or Mark II 4" standard.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
mikein said:
I recently bought a MK IV Tactical and have put several hundred rounds through it. It's great little pistol, but I was wondering, with all the after-market goodies available out there, which ones do you folks think are worth the investment? I'm a casual shooter, using my MK IV for plinking, family fun, chicken coop protection, and dispatching animals while running my trap lines.

For what your use involves, I wouldn't recommend you change anything. Just changing the trigger will not do anything except provide you with a different trigger. Pull weight stays the same and the only item that will get lighter, is your wallet.
Grips? Again, not gonna do much unless you have very large hands and prefer a larger set of grip panels.
Depending on how close you're allowed to get to the "chicken coop" thieves, and how well you shoot with the factory sights, you most likely don't need any assistance from an optic.

" and dispatching animals while running my trap lines."

I wouldn't recommend a VQ trigger for "trap line" use. Unless your trapping is significantly different than mine, those shots are often made with gloves on, with wet/cold hands, and at very close range. None of those are really compatible with what I've found with VQ trigger jobs. I specifically chose NOT to tinker with the trigger of my trap line pistol(a beat up 22/45 MK2) because I was concerned about letting a shot go unintentionally due to the lighter pull.
For the other uses listed, yes, a smoother, lighter pull would be good.

mikein

Single-Sixer
Thanks for feedback, folks. Mobuck, here in Central Texas our weather is so temperate that I rarely wear gloves. And I trap for predator control, not for fur, so when a bad bit of weather is predicted for our area, I just shut the traps down for a few days and wait for the weather to moderate! But your point is well taken. Unplanned shots are not good, and I'm very careful about keeping the trigger pull weight on my hunting rifles a pound or two heavier than my target firearms for that very reason.

grobin

Blackhawk
I've a 22/45 and it really needed trigger work, I doubt that the IV needs it. I would be tempted to add a SIG ROMEO5 red dot in case I got a shot at a distance.