Ruger Standard ???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

huskerbob

Bearcat
I own a Ruger Mark III and yesterday added this Ruger Standard to my gun safe.

Based on the S/N it was built in 1981. It has the 6" barrel. At some point in it's life someone switched out the grips and unfortunately, the original grips didn't come to me with the gun.

I did get the original box which is in very good condition and two mags. One appears original the second is an aftermarket version. The bluing on the gun is in very good condition.

Hoping one of you more experienced Ruger folks can give me some idea of the value. Also, since I bought the gun to shoot rather than as in investment, is it worth tracking down a set of original Ruger grips?

All input is welcome and will be appreciated!

Bob

https://imgur.com/Yo2f3qU
https://imgur.com/f6qGH2w

gunman42782

Hunter
It looks nice. Not just the grips, but that rear sight isn't original either. It would probably bring in the $200 neighborhood in this part of the country.

huskerbob

Bearcat
gunman42782 said:
It looks nice. Not just the grips, but that rear sight isn't original either. It would probably bring in the $200 neighborhood in this part of the country.

News to me on the rear sight! Thanks for the info!

huskerbob

Bearcat
gunman42782 said:

Gunman,

I did a quick check on the internet. Looks to me like the rear sight may have been for the Ruger Mark I Target model. Agree / Disagree???

bob

nice ,late model standard auto RST-6, yes custom grips on an A-100 frame, so standard or MK I grips can be found, and not that expensive, as for the sight, that is a Micro rear, adjustable sight....as such, not a match for the lower front sight, so the gun will fire quite high !!!
Nice gun, kinda cool grips, bet someone would easily swap you a pair of original grips for those, I'd keep them though,,,,,find the original set....as for value, as I say " a sum of the total of the parts" with those grips and the Micro sight it would be a $250-275 value gun, put it back to original, it would be worth 'less' to me..........

huskerbob

Bearcat
rugerguy said:
nice ,late model standard auto RST-6, yes custom grips on an A-100 frame, so standard or MK I grips can be found, and not that expensive, as for the sight, that is a Micro rear, adjustable sight....as such, not a match for the lower front sight, so the gun will fire quite high !!!
Nice gun, kinda cool grips, bet someone would easily swap you a pair of original grips for those, I'd keep them though,,,,,find the original set....as for value, as I say " a sum of the total of the parts" with those grips and the Micro sight it would be a $250-275 value gun, put it back to original, it would be worth 'less' to me..........

I found a set of original Ruger grips on line this morning that should work on the A-100 frame. $12.50 for the grips and $5 shipping. I like the custom grips better but want the originals "just to have them". Haven't shot it yet so I'll have to see if I can live with the rear sight. The adjust-ability will be nice but again, I'd like to have the original rear sight sitting in the box with the original grips in case I ever decided to try and sell it. I'll see if I can find one at a reasonable price. I assume it was just the usual one-piece steel sight that slipped into the dovetail....correct???

Thanks for the info!

Bob

huskerbob

Bearcat
MountainWalker said:
Rear sight shown here, I would call factory for advice https://www.ruger.com/products/markIVStandard/models.html

Thanks! That confirms my purchase of what I was told by a gun parts dealer in Indiana was the correct rear sight. I bought one and have it sitting in the box along with a pair of original Ruger grips I bought for it on eBay.

Here's a picture of the gun with the aftermarket grips someone put on before the gun found it's way to me.

f6qGH2w.jpg

robmkivseries70

Bearcat
Hi Bearcat,
If you are handy with tools or know some one who is, you might consider making a taller front sight, it's a piece of flat metal pinned to the barrel mount. I lost the pin out of one of those, along with the sight back in the 70s, lol and had to order a new one via snail mail. Anyhow, the sight could be roughed in to the middle of the rear sight elevation range, finished and cold blued when the height was set. The pin could be pressed in place with a pair of vise grip pliers to swage it in place. hth
Best,
Rob
p.s. As you said, see where it shoots first. ;)

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Chances are quite high that the pistol, using the rear sight you now have, will shoot high. "rugerguy" is correct, that rear sight was much more common as found on the early "Target" versions. I would guess finding an original rear sight would be quite easy to do, that is, if, like acquiring the correct grips, you'd also like to acquire the correct rear sight rather than have a higher front sight made.

huskerbob

Bearcat
SGW Gunsmith said:
Chances are quite high that the pistol, using the rear sight you now have, will shoot high. "rugerguy" is correct, that rear sight was much more common as found on the early "Target" versions. I would guess finding an original rear sight would be quite easy to do, that is, if, like acquiring the correct grips, you'd also like to acquire the correct rear sight rather than have a higher front sight made.

I'll find out soon. I'm going to shoot it for the first time tomorrow and am expecting it to shoot high.

I've already located the correct rear sight and have purchased it. So if/when I decide, I can return the gun to it's "natural state". However as stated, before I do that I want to see what happens with the Micro adjustable sight on board. If the gun shoots high, I'm going to talk with my gunsmith and see about having a taller front sight made out of the same stock steel as the factory sight so a custom sight fits without any alterations to the gun.

Will know more by this time tomorrow I guess..............

street

Hunter
Can't say for sure but what I can tell by the lettering on the gun it looks as if it has been re-blued. To be sure we need a better photo of that part of the gun. As you bought it for a shooter then it OK if it has been re-blued. Only collectors have a problem with a re-blued gun. Hope you enjoy the gun, let us know how it shoots.

huskerbob

Bearcat
street said:
Can't say for sure but what I can tell by the lettering on the gun it looks as if it has been re-blued. To be sure we need a better photo of that part of the gun. As you bought it for a shooter then it OK if it has been re-blued. Only collectors have a problem with a re-blued gun. Hope you enjoy the gun, let us know how it shoots.

Here's a few close ups of the lettering. It looks pretty crisp to me. If it's been reblued, somebody did a heck of a job. Not sure why anyone would spend the $$$? It's not now, and never was, a high dollar pistol.

Let me know what you think.......

g8hp6q0l.jpg

Ejch3JJl.jpg

1CaYsirl.jpg

fItuKUkl.jpg

street

Hunter
Lot better pictures! You are right that gun has not been re-blued. As for why someone would re-blue a 6 in. standard? The only reason I would think is to fool a novice into thinking he is buying a brand new older gun. Or to hasten a sale of a gun that would be hard to sell in it's original shape. And some people just like their guns to look nice, which is the reason some people replace original grips with nicer ones.