Two piece bolt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chet15

Hawkeye
Highstandardguy said:
Can anyone tell me when Ruger quit using the two piece bolt on the stainless MKIIs?

215-91027 is the earliest stainless gun noted with normal bolt ears. I believe the non tapered bolt ears were begun when Ruger moved production from Southport to Prescott. The 215-91027 was an old receiver that had just been finished up, so there are a bunch of guns after that which will have tapered ears.
The Southport plant closed in July 1991 so when production began again in Prescott ('92 I believe) all stainless had normal bolt ears. When in doubt, you'll need a ship date.
Chet15

Ah, the "parts bin theory" ,,,did they use up ALL of the tapered or two piece bolts?? or did they scrap them out........??? 8) :roll: :wink:

Jeff , where are you when we need you........ :)

Thanks Chet. The 215/1992 thing is what I wanted. It's surprisingly difficult to explain "tapered ears" to prospective sellers that are not very familiar with marks.

chet15

Hawkeye
rugerguy said:
Ah, the "parts bin theory" ,,,did they use up ALL of the tapered or two piece bolts?? or did they scrap them out........??? 8) :roll: :wink:

I can't imagine Ruger scrapping out any component that won't fit in a current production gun.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
All two-piece bolts that are sent along to Ruger with any pistols needing service are now replaced with the Ruger Mark IV bolts. They no longer have any Mark II or III one-piece bolts to send as replacements, and haven't had any for quite some time now:

lH6ZRQkl.jpg

The last Ruger Mark III stainless bolt I purchased from Midway USA was around a year ago, and then the order number went to a different product, so I'm thinking that may well have been the last Mark III bolt they had in stock.
Last I was told by the Customer Service Manager in Prescott, they were receiving 3 to 5 two-piece bolts per year in this condition:

aqJAo9Ml.jpg

I have done a "preventative" fix on well over 30 two-piece bolts, and none have separated, and the fix is hardly noticeable. Still, if Ruger gets a two-piece bolt returned with a Mark II pistol they have been known to replace the bolt anyway. So, I recommend not returning any Mark II, two-piece bolt to Ruger unless it completely comes apart. This last information was emailed to me by a person who had a bolt that I did replaced by ruger.

chet15

Hawkeye
Highstandardguy said:
My understanding is that the MKIV bolt is basically a MKIII bolt with the LCI grove. Is that correct?

Not sure, haven't compared them.
But wondering if the takedown button on the MKIV made it necessary to modify the bolt. I really don't know, just figured they were both different.
Chet15

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Highstandardguy said:
My understanding is that the MKIV bolt is basically a MKIII bolt with the LCI grove. Is that correct?

No. Why would the bolt need an LCI groove when the receiver is not cut for one?

The Mark I bolt works in all the Ruger Mark pistol versions, as does the Mark II, III, 22/45 and Mark IV. I've tried it. The only unique feature is in the Ruger Mark I style bolts. There are two cut-outs for the top of the safety which also acts as the bolt hold back mechanism. Still, all the other bolts will work in the early Mark versions and Standards, but, there will be no provision for bolt hold open if using the Mark II, III & IV bolts.
For some odd reason Ruger went to smaller diameter "pull back ears" on the Mark III & Mark IV bolts than the very appropriate diameter on the Mark II bolts. Must be why so many owners need an assist to pull the bolts back on the Mark III & Mark IV pistols.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
SGW Gunsmith said:
Highstandardguy said:

No. Why would the bolt need an LCI groove when the receiver is not cut for one?

The Mark I bolt works in all the Ruger Mark pistol versions, as does the Mark II, III, 22/45 and Mark IV. I've tried it. The only unique feature is in the Ruger Mark I style bolts. There are two cut-outs for the top of the safety which also acts as the bolt hold back mechanism. Still, all the other bolts will work in the early Mark versions and Standards, but, there will be no provision for bolt hold open if using the Mark II, III & IV bolts.
For some odd reason Ruger went to smaller diameter "pull back ears" on the Mark III & Mark IV bolts than the very appropriate diameter on the Mark II bolts. Must be why so many owners need an assist to pull the bolts back on the Mark III & Mark IV pistols.

Agree completely, the MK II bolts retraction lugs work in any weather, from rain to far below ZERO. Scallops, which Ruger cut to either side at the rear of the upper receiver, increase purchase on the retraction lugs. These lugs are elegant and functional, and aesthetically far superior to the beveled grabbers of recent production. A restoration of the old lugs is in order. Along with sound attachment to the bolt body.
David Bradshaw

mohavesam

Hawkeye
chet15 said:
rugerguy said:

I can't imagine Ruger scrapping out any component that won't fit in a current production gun.

This!
I recall a former... the effect of suffering the wrath of WBR if he "ever scrapped a thirty-cent part that could make a $300 gun ship!" I laughed, I cried...

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Scrapping out what is considered a "faulty part" is a tax write-off, and done by a multitude of manufacturers. Being that Ruger did indeed have the larger eared Mark II style bolts made in the one-piece version, and I talked with Joe concerning Ruger having a run of the one-piece style, large ear bolts made for replacement of the separated Mark II bolts.
Their answer really didn't make a lick of sense. They didn't want to create another part number for those bolts and hold inventory. Now that was quite confusing because they already did have a part number for a "solid one-piece Mark II bolt" at some previous point. And, look at how many of the Ruger parts are **RESTRICTED** for individual sale due to some fictitious need that requires fitting. Metal grip frames for example. I've switched Mark II's and III's and put Mark I's on Mark II and III grip frames a whole bunch of times and there hasn't been a "black helo" land on my property yet.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
One thing to note: If a Ruger Mark III has an "active" loaded round indicator, then NO, the Mark IV bolts are not compatible as it does not have the slot for the metal piece in the left side of the bolt.
If the LCI has been removed, then, obviously the Mark IV bolt will work OK.

I believe I have all of the Ruger Mark pistol bolt types pictured here:

yUxPLGgl.jpg

street

Hunter
SGW Gunsmith said:
One thing to note: If a Ruger Mark III has an "active" loaded round indicator, then NO, the Mark IV bolts are not compatible as it does not have the slot for the metal piece in the left side of the bolt.

yUxPLGgl.jpg
There are some missing from the Standard and Mark-I bolts. The first Red Eagles had bolts that were not blued. The first from serial number 0001 to around 3280 had a bolt that didn't have a recoil spring support. The second bolt had a recoil spring support, serial number around 3261 to 12173. The next bolt is the one that you show, it is blued. The next two bolt were 2 piece tapered ear bolts, one with the flat on the top and the other with the flat on the bottom. Both of these bolts were blued also. It looks as if the Standard and Mark-I's had at lease 5 different bolts. I forgot about the Bill Ruger Signature model, It was Stainless so that makes it 6 :oops:

All information comes from the RENE. :idea:

valvestem

Bearcat
Thanks for posting that pic of all the various bolt styles. I recently bought a Mk2 SS with the two-piece bolt and swapped in a one piece like you have pictured. Of course I would have been unaware if not for you posting about this two-piece bolt
here and elsewhere.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
street said:
SGW Gunsmith said:

There are some missing from the Standard and Mark-I bolts. The first Red Eagles had bolts that were not blued. The first from serial number 0001 to around 3280 had a bolt that didn't have a recoil spring support. The second bolt had a recoil spring support, serial number around 3261 to 12173. The next bolt is the one that you show, it is blued. The next two bolt were 2 piece tapered ear bolts, one with the flat on the top and the other with the flat on the bottom. Both of these bolts were blued also. It looks as if the Standard and Mark-I's had at lease 5 different bolts. I forgot about the Bill Ruger Signature model, It was Stainless so that makes it 6 :oops:

Post up some pictures of those you mention.

street

Hunter
SGW Gunsmith said:
street said:
SGW Gunsmith said:

Post up some pictures of those you mention.
I don't have any pictures to show but I'm sure some of the other members do.

Latest posts