LCRX 22 or SP-101 22?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Hey folks. This spring I am planning to get a double action .22 LR revolver, and the front runners are the LCRX 3" and SP-101. The GP-100 is just too big and heavy for my taste. The plan is to use it as an inexpensive understudy to my centerfire revolvers, and practice both single and double action. The LCRX is alot cheaper than the SP and weighs less. The SP is, of course, a very proven design and looks much better to my eyes. Which one would be your choice? Anybody have alot of experience with them?

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
I have a little experience with both the SP101 4.2" and the LCRX 3". I have both and like both. Either is a good choice.

I find the LCRX to be harder to shoot because of the light weight of the gun compared to the weight of the trigger even though I like the trigger on it better than the SP101 trigger.

The SP101 has the better sights. Because it is heavier I find it easier to shoot well. The trigger is not as good as the LCRX, but SP101 triggers tend to smooth out and lighten with shooting and there are spring kits available for them. I don't know if spring kits are available for the LCR series.

If you like the looks of the Sp101 then that is reason enough to get it.

eyeseeum

Bearcat
hunter, i did exactly what you are looking to do. have sp101 3" in .357 for edc and purchased a 4.2 inch sp101 .22. i bought the older model circa 1990 with full lug like my 357 without the fiber optic front sight. i love it and practice with it nearly every time vs 357 unless i just want to for fun. never looked back. good luck