MKIV rear sight removal

Help Support Ruger Forum:

huskyfever03

Bearcat
Looking for clarification on which way to drift the rear sight out. I've seen it posted in multiple places that ruger says L to R and then R to L.

Which is it?

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
huskyfever03 said:
Looking for clarification on which way to drift the rear sight out. I've seen it posted in multiple places that ruger says L to R and then R to L.

Which is it?

The Ruger Mark rear sight dovetail slot is milled straight through, so it's the same size at each side. Doesn't matter which direction you drift it out. I've done it both ways, just to prove a point. Don't forget to loosen up the hold down screw though. :shock:

I agree with 'SGW" we too have found that for many, this is the case,,,,I recall it goes back to the "old days" especially with ANY of the rimfire rifles ,Remington, Winchester the slot was indeed "tapered"...this set screw ( lockdown) of today seems prevalent....... :wink:

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
rugerguy said:
I agree with 'SGW" we too have found that for many, this is the case,,,,I recall it goes back to the "old days" especially with ANY of the rimfire rifles ,Remington, Winchester the slot was indeed "tapered"...this set screw ( lockdown) of today seems prevalent....... :wink:

Dan is exactly correct. Back in the day, more parts were 'specific' fitted, and rightly so as cost per hour was much cheaper. I can well remember the old adage about which way sights needed to be drifted. If you do indeed have an older firearm, say pre '64, your first attempt should be from left to right.

Latest posts