Mark IV Tip

Help Support Ruger Forum:

elmo123

Bearcat
Hello,
I recently purchased a new Mark IV pistol and have fired it about 2000 times and really like this pistol but I was having difficulty removing the magazines even though I was depressing the magazine latch as far as it would travel.

After shooting it today I removed the left grip panel and removed the magazine latch to discover that the latch and it's corresponding relief in the frame was covered in fine powder residue which was preventing it from it's full travel. A quick cleaning with a nylon brush and Q-Tip for the frame was all it took to restore it to it's original condition.

Even though I was cleaning the magazine well during my post firing shooting sessions it had no effect on the magazine latch.

Hope this helps someone.

Happy Holidays,

Mike

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
I had the same problem and solution. I now make it a habit to clean the magazine well and push in the mag release, spray it with Break Cleaner and run a patch down to get all the extra carbon off of it. I noticed the problem at my last Steel Challenge match. Once I shot 5 shots the magazines would not release although full magazines had no problem.

Now all of my magazines drop freely from the gun when I push the button.