Reverse the safety?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Yes they make a left handed safety conversion for the 10/22. I have converted several for friends.
Jard triggers safety are also reversible if you wish to go with an after market trigger group,
Terry

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
hot chili powder said:
Can the safety on a Ruger 10/22 be reversed for a Lefthand shooter?

Yes, as was mentioned above there is a "left-hand" safety button available for the 10/22. The detent notches are positioned differently. Why bother? Obviously, YOU believe it will be more convenient. Makes sense to me, and for many other folks I've sold the change-over part to.

Here are a couple:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ruger-Carbine-left-Hand-Safety/173665048986?hash=item286f3e599a:g:eek:o4AAOSwDYBbmW28:rk:23:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tactical-Innovations-Left-Hand-Safety-for-Ruger-10-22/273582843368?epid=3026488479&hash=item3fb2cee5e8:g:hdcAAOSwEp5b~aLZ:sc:USPSFirstClass!21017!US!-1:rk:2:pf:0

Thanks guys, good info.......big THANKS to Jeepnik.....that's how I feel to, WE always have to conform in "rightys" world, glad there are a few Lefthand bolt rifles!!

Being a lefty I have had some right handed firearms safety changed over for me. It mainly depends on what the gun is used for and how the safety is designed. If I hunted with the 10-22s I would change them also, but there just fun range use guns so it's no biggie to leave them as they are.

I'm left handed, pretty dominant too. But for some reason I just am not comfortable with left handed bolt action rifles. I have a couple, but it's just not as convenient. One is a single shot which causes me to have to move my head in order to see when loading a round into the chamber.

Sorry, off topic I know, but good luck reversing the safety on your 10/22. I now have a 1911 with an ambidextrous safety. It's very nice so I understand why you want this done.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Jeepnik said:
Why is it when a southpaw asks a question like this folks give reasons it's not necessary. I like to see right handed folks use left handed firearms. They'd be complaining like never before.

Darn GOOD question! I can't even remember the number of Remington semi-auto and pump action rifles and shotguns that I've converted to left hand safeties for their owners. Why convert the safety? Because that's what the owner wanted done.

Advice from right handed shooters to forget about the conversion, isn't worth one mouse turd. The owner gets to decide how they want it to be. Nobody else!

ilikerams

Single-Sixer
SGW Gunsmith said:
Advice from right handed shooters to forget about the conversion, isn't worth one mouse turd. The owner gets to decide how they want it to be. Nobody else!
That's strange, I've read this thread a couple of times and haven't found any advice from RIGHT HANDED SHOOTERS to forget about the conversion. Perhaps you can point that post out to me, thanks.

ilikerams said:
SGW Gunsmith said:
That's strange, I've read this thread a couple of times and haven't found any advice from RIGHT HANDED SHOOTERS to forget about the conversion. Perhaps you can point that post out to me, thanks.

Oh it comes up in every such thread. I usually jump on the temptation for the righties to comment quite quickly. It seems to slow them a bit.

ilikerams

Single-Sixer
Fox Mike said:
ilikerams said:
Suppose it's possible but why bother?
Because that is what the shooter wants. That is 'why bother'.
Seems like it could be a real "safety" issue for someone who doesn't know about the change. Some guys like release triggers on their shotguns for trap but I think they're kinda scary too.

ilikerams said:
Fox Mike said:
ilikerams said:
Suppose it's possible but why bother?
Because that is what the shooter wants. That is 'why bother'.
Seems like it could be a real "safety" issue for someone who doesn't know about the change. Some guys like release triggers on their shotguns for trap but I think they're kinda scary too.

Well gee, if reversing the safety is a danger to right handed shooters, then right handed safeties are a danger to left handed shooters. In other words, if you don't know what the heck you are doing you shouldn't be handling a firearm.