Ruger MKlll competition

Help Support Ruger Forum:

brucear777

Bearcat
Has anyone ever shot birdshot through the Mark 3 competition and if so does it hold a decent pattern. And can you shoot birdshot through the single six 22lr.

recumbent

Buckeye
No pattern after 5 feet, won't cycle the action so you have a single shot pistol.
Yes you can shoot birdshot thru a single 6 just don't expect good patterns.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
brucear777 said:
Has anyone ever shot birdshot through the Mark 3 competition and if so does it hold a decent pattern. And can you shoot birdshot through the single six 22lr.

Over the years I've experimented with .22 rimfire ammunition with the crimped cases holding #12 shot. With a rifled barrel, in revolver, pistol or rifle, the rifling swirls those little shot and once they leave the muzzle the pattern comes out sorta like a donut. The farther the pattern gets from the muzzle the larger that donut becomes. I've shot completely around chipmunks and never removed a single hair on one of 'em.

What I did indeed try though, involved a Colt Police Revolver in .22 rimfire caliber, that came in with a bulged barrel. The owner was using some old .22 long rifle ammunition that he kept out in the barn, and stuck two bullets in the barrel. I couldn't find a replacement barrel so the decision was made to drill out the barrel and re-line it.
Before I set the liner in place, I thought I'd try shooting some of those crimped case .22 Long Rifle shot loads in it. With the smooth-bore barrel that revolver produced some of nicest, full, and dense patterns that I'd ever shot. At ten yards, I could drop those pesky chipmunks one right after another.

That experiment satisfied my curiosity, so I cleaned the bore and permanently set the liner in place.

langenc

Single-Sixer
Will work but figure range will be on range order of 5', or less. depending on target size/weight. As noted you will have a single shot Mark gun.

1bdvet

Bearcat
I can say I went to the range with some 22LR bird shot, but the range officer wouldn't let me shoot it. So I stuck the two rounds into Mark III magazine.
Well next week went back to the range, put my target out 30 mark, slipped a loaded magazine and started firing till I herd slight noise when the gun went off, and the slide never moved to eject old round, so I manually pulled it back, and saw the casing was silver, and never occurred till I fired again with the same results, that I had to pull the slide back to eject the shell.
The the light bulb went off, these were bird shot ammo the range officer didn't want me to shoot, oh well.
I brought in the target, and it looked like someone peppered the card board and target full of little holes right though cardboard, looked like a scatter gun, with small holes.
I truly don't want to get hit with that, but I keep a derringer in the car loaded with two rounds, of shot, and 9mm incase I need more fire power.
Hope that answered your question!