New to me 10/22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vulcannut

Bearcat
I picked up a 10/22 today. This is my first 10/22. I have been looking for a few months at different models and wanted one with a wood checkered stock and stainless barrel. No particular reason why. I came across one today that I see some call the Walmart Special from what I have seen. It came with a 22inch SS barrel, wood checkered stock, and aluminum trigger guard. The one I picked up was made around 2001-2002.

Questions I have is where are 10/22 made today? On mine the barrel has the Southport address which I would if it's like my revolvers would tell me it was made in CT. But I could be wrong. Any Info would be appreciated.

Paid 239 and change out the door as pictured. It's a good shape with just a few minor marks on the stock.

Came with a cheap scope not sure if I will keep it on but will for now.

Haven't fired it yet but will soon.

20181123-152458.jpg

20181123-152441.jpg

20181123-152434.jpg

9x19

Hunter
That one was built for WalMart back in the day.

You'll notice the receiver is marked "10/22 Rifle" instead of "10/22 Carbine" and the barrel on those is 22" instead of the usual 18".

They are nice rifles, enjoy it!

vulcannut

Bearcat
9x19 said:
That one was built for WalMart back in the day.

You'll notice the receiver is marked "10/22 Rifle" instead of "10/22 Carbine" and the barrel on those is 22" instead of the usual 18".

They are nice rifles, enjoy it!

Thanks for the reply. The more I look at it the more I like it. I think I did ok with it. Whoever owned it treated it right. The gun has the sen5 of Hoppes #9 emanating from it. I plan on going through it later today. I am on vacation this week so I plan on heading to the range a few times.

wwb

Hunter
vulcannut said:
Came with a cheap scope not sure if I will keep it on but will for now.......

Nice rifle!

You may find that a cheap scope works very well on a .22 rimfire, since the recoil is just about nil. As long as it has decent clarity and brightness to meet your needs, I'd give it a go - you may be satisfied with it.

My only suggestion would be to get a set of lower rings.... those are way too high. Close your eyes, mount the rifle, and then open your eyes - I'll bet you're looking at the bottom edge of the scope instead of through the center.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
One recommendation: Buy at least two hundred GOOD quality .22s, and
start with them. You will get copper coating the bore, rather than lead. I've
only had problems with one Ruger leading up. It was an SR22P and I
made the mistake of using lead bullets to start with. I spent several hours
getting all of it out. (ZERO problems since :wink: )

Once you run the first hundred or two through it, there will be no difference
is how it reacts. :D

P.S. GREAT price!
I got one from Wally World about two decades ago that I paid less out the
door, than my local dealer was paying for his.
(something about volume buying) :wink:

vulcannut

Bearcat
Thanks everyone. I don't have too much experience with rifles so I appreciate the scope ring suggestion. Going to try it as is and then see if I need to tweak things. It has a decent trigger better than the new ones I handled. Probably just broken in. I have a couple of thousand rounds of Winchester's so a I plan on trying them first but odds our it won't like them too much. My SR22 doesn't. If not I have a few hundred rounds of CCI mini mags I can try in it. Both of these rounds are plated.

I went through it tonight and it looks like it was well cared for. Very clean inside.

Be shooting it Monday morning.

If you can take several different brands of 22lr with you to the range...

And I have to agree with a statement above... 10/22s we're made for 'cheap' scopes or visa versa....

The only 'problem' I see is in my experience with 10/22s it is hard to own just one... and if you step onto the 'modification' road then you really need one to compare the one you are working on to.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
vulcannut said:
I picked up a 10/22 today. This is my first 10/22. I have been looking for a few months at different models and wanted one with a wood checkered stock and stainless barrel. No particular reason why. I came across one today that I see some call the Walmart Special from what I have seen. It came with a 22inch SS barrel, wood checkered stock, and aluminum trigger guard. The one I picked up was made around 2001-2002.

Questions I have is where are 10/22 made today? On mine the barrel has the Southport address which I would if it's like my revolvers would tell me it was made in CT. But I could be wrong. Any Info would be appreciated.

Paid 239 and change out the door as pictured. It's a good shape with just a few minor marks on the stock.

Came with a cheap scope not sure if I will keep it on but will for now.

Haven't fired it yet but will soon.

You did very well on your purchase. Congrats! You now have a rifle, and this has been mentioned above, whereby a plethora of aftermarket parts are available to improve and modify ANY of the factory parts you feel need improvement.
From 1964 until this very minute, Ruger has produced a bit over 6 million 10/22 carbines and rifles, and for a good reason. These are fun guns to own and shoot. Yes, they are sorta like Jay's potato chips, "just having one is difficult".

As far as scopes are concerned, try that one you got with your rifle. If it doesn't provide you with your desired outcome, again, there is a multitude out there to choose from, depending on how serious your shooting endeavors involve. This is my target rifle:

J37vUDdl.jpg

The scope is NOT what I'd consider a "cheap" scope, but consider one thing, "cheap" doesn't always mean shoddy. This scope will allow me to see bullet holes on a 100 yard target.

Now, this 10/22 has been set-up specifically for the
OAiKgPBm.jpg
factor:

exI6V8xl.jpg

Using the "Firefly" bolt, and a suppressor along with the CCI Quiet ammunition, the only sound is the bolt going back and forth