Interesting performance from 17 HMR

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I'll admit to being skeptical after some failures of the 17 HMR on coyotes. Between Tom and myself, we've shot at least 5 that weren't recovered. In fact the only one we did recover was one Tom overestimated the range on and hit through the skull(vs ribcage).
The boys have coyote traps set here and I drive just close enough to check those traps with binos. Well, this morning there was a yotie in a trap. I was hoping to try some of the Winchester 20 grain JHP and this was a good opportunity under very controlled circumstances. I took a behind the shoulder nearly broadside shot @ 80-90 yards and got an instant "BANG-FLOP". That was it, no wiggles. No exit(as expected) but I can't even find the entry hole so fur damage is non-existent.
This is the first time I've seen the 17 give this result so maybe I've found the right ammo for my needs.

I've only used the .17HMR on (edible) gray and fox squirrels, plus (destructive pest) red or "pine" squirrels.

I've found the 17-grain bullets too destructive on edible game. I've harvested squirrels with (angled) head shots, only to find that the opposite shoulder taken out.

I've heard good things about the 20-grain hollow points: less explosive results, with better weight retention.

Glad to hear you had good results with the hollow point. Keep us posted on further results!

BTW, I solved my .17HMR "problem" by buying a .17HM2 for edible game. Always better to buy a new rifle, vs. just trying a new load! :roll: :p :p :p

contender

Ruger Guru
I've killed several coyotes with my 17 HMR. The closest was about 40 yards,, while my longest was about 200 yds. So far,, they have all dropped DRT. I aim for the neck,, and it seems to be wicked on them. I'm using the 17 grn Hornady bullets.

contender

Ruger Guru
I've killed several coyotes with my 17 HMR. The closest was about 40 yards,, while my longest was about 200 yds. So far,, they have all dropped DRT. I aim for the neck,, and it seems to be wicked on them. I'm using the 17 grn Hornady bullets.

After the fact, I began to question my actual shot placement-maybe a bit high(?). I had to lay the carcass entrance wound down for a while to find the actual puncture and found it was within an inch of POA making it a high lung hit with maybe a bit of shoulder blade.
Traps are re-set but I doubt I'll get another test run as I'm headed for a "Black Friday" run in search of coolers today and leaving before first light tomorrow. Grandson totes one of the 17's when we go coyote calling and we've been searching for a bullet that will slap them down even with a head-on presentation. This heavier bullet may do the trick.

Another thing I've noticed about my "hummers": Anything and I mean ANYTHING changed on the barrel may result in a drastic change in POI. I've been fiddling with muzzle devices looking for a magical accuracy improvement and have found my 77/17 seems to like just a bit of weight on the muzzle. A 1.5-2 ounce device seems to provide best improvement while a light thread protector does nearly nothing. An 8 ounce muffler doesn't greatly improve accuracy(over a thread protector) but moves POI by several inches and the 77/17 doesn't like the dedicated .17 caliber muffler AT ALL although the RAR 17 is happy with the sub-caliber (.17 vs .22)muffler.
Hoping I can get this all figured out before we really get into winter calling OR I may just settle on one specific combination and call it good.