Take down light. Opinions sought.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mlazarus5388

Single-Sixer
I'm looking for a takedown rifle. Lighter is better. Budget is flexible. I'm looking at the 10/22 takedown light weight version with 16 inch barrel. Any owners with an opinion one way or another. I'm looking to fit it into a day pack.

mlazarus5388

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the suggestions. I am not really looking for a survival rifle so much as an easy to pack 22 for recreational shooting.

Magnum Force

Single-Sixer
The only thing I might add of value relates to the packability of the 10/22 Takedown. I bought one a few years ago when they first came out, and carried it while hiking and canoeing. At the time, they were one of only a few take down rifles available, the Henry AR-7 being it's only real competition at the time. Now, we have all sorts of take down rifles, like the Keltec Sub 2000 and the Ruger PC Carbine (both 9MM's).....

While hiking, I had to find a pretty large back pack to carry the 10/22 Takedown "Under The Radar". That wound up being a USMC Recon pack, really a fairly large pack. While canoeing, I wrapped both halves of the rifle in nylon rifle socks, and placed them in a duffle bag. That worked nicely. It was nice to be able to use the rifle at the end of a days paddling for recreation. I felt well prepared with the take down .22 rifle and a center fire handgun of some sort with me.

As far as shooting, the 10/22 Take Down shoots equally as well as the non-take down 10/22, I have a stainless carbine with black fiber stock that shoots almost identically as accurate and reliable as the take down version. I use the supplied iron sights exclusively, no scopes for me, and with both rifles I can hit small steel targets (3 1/2" in diameter) out to 50 yards from any field shooting position.

414065161.jpg

The supplied Ruger Take Down Bag is a value, there is room for spare magazines, a compact handgun, spare ammo, other shooting and survival gear. If you had to buy one, they are $80 from Rugers' web site.

414065162.jpg

I haven't shot the Take Down rifle as much in the last year or so as I've moved on to 9MM Take Down rifles for utility and recreation, a little more bang for the buck. The Ruger 10/22 now fills the role of a vehicle rifle, stowed in my camper van while traveling, just in case a little .22 rifle shooting needs doing...

grobin

Blackhawk
You might want to look at the TNW Aero survival rifle. It's a compact multi caliber carbine not a dedicated survival tool like the AR7. I've one in 22 and 10mm. Changing calibers is easy, but you remove two pins to remove the lower-not difficult but not an on the fly operation. Costs more than the Ruger, but you get more.

BTW I've a PC9 I carry when hunting small game. I carry the AERO as 22 and reconfigure to 10 mm if I think I'll get hogs or something like them. A FYI Colorado requires that hunting rifles for big game (deer etc.) have 1,000 ft lbs energy at 100yds. This includes all PCC. So as pistols need 500 ft lbs at 50yds your 357 makes that!?