Another "It's not a Ruger but"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tom has a CZ "switch barrel" SCOUT (22lr/22WMR/17HMR) that much to my dismay is far more accurate than my Ruger(s). Lately, he's been using the 17HMR and doing a Don Quixote imitation by trying to tinkle the 300 meter gong. After wasting about 100 rounds, he's found the holdover but doping the wind is problematic. He hit two consecutive shots yesterday out of 5 tries so it's possible. Amazingly, the 300 meter groups are around 5" if the wind is steady.
He got a real world lesson in wind doping yesterday. On the ridge we shoot from, the breeze was coming from north northwest but at the target, the breeze was from northeast. He was allowing for the wind at our location only to find the wind at the target was 90* different and stronger.
So, now he wants wind flags at the long range target butt(s).
I asked him what he thought about the 17 as a 300 yard coyote round. He commented it would maybe make a yotie stop to scratch the "flea bite" giving me a better chance to hit it. Really, we have no expectations of using the little round over maybe 150 but it has honed his shooting significantly in the process(a 5" accuracy level on a 12"x12" target doesn't leave much wiggle room).

gunzo

Hunter
Most 17 HMR rifles deserve a really good scope with knobs or multiple hashmark reticles. They can perform beyond most folks expectations.

CZs are well respected to some, but for the most part are a hidden gem. I sold my Anschutz when I realized that at 4 times the cost, it couldn't hang with or exceed the accuracy of my CZ.

transalp1961

Single-Sixer
I have half a dozen CZ rimfire rifles. They are quality built rifles. With that said, mine are not any more accurate than my Rugers, Savages, or Marlins.

I spent $250 3 years ago for a 17 HMR RAR that was disappointing and another $200 this year to have a spare 77/17 barrel threaded only to find it too was an underachiever. Tom's CZ cost far less than the combination of those two bungles.

I have a 17 HMR Thompson Contender. It is exceptionally accurate. No scope, just open sights. But I can't imagine it having much of an impact at 300 yards. Those bullets are just so tiny.

gunzo

Hunter
On a calm day with a good range finder, dependable scope, & proper drop chart, repeatable 300 yard kills on prairie dogs can happen.

Hornady 17 grain V-Max. Dry dusty ground that gives good feedback on misses helps a lot.

I couldn't afford the ammo to try it long on a really windy day.

I avoided the cartridge until just a couple years ago.. Glad I finally tried one.

"But I can't imagine it having much of an impact at 300 yards. Those bullets are just so tiny."

Enough to make a tiny "CLINK" and a spider looking impact on a freshly painted plate. I can also verify it has enough umph to punch through cardboard.
There seems to be close to a foot of difference in drop at the 350 yard range simply due to moist vs dry air.