Upgrade Mark II Trigger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pondoro

Bearcat
I had a pro trigger job done on my Mark II 20 years ago. My daughter's Ruger Mark II Target (purchased used) has a trigger is noticeably heavier than my gun. No daughter will stand for that. The gunsmith that did my trigger job is long gone and YouTube has blossomed. How to improve her trigger?

Midway sells Volquartsen target triggers and Volquartsen target sears. Also Volquartsen disconnectors. She'd be out $100 by the time she bought all of those and her gun is supposed to have a target trigger to begin with. What would you do first? I was thinking the sear.

They also sell a Volquartsen accurizing kit for $109.

Has anyone put any of these parts in their Mark II? Any advice on which part makes the most difference? Any advice on which parts are easy or hard to install? Any YouTube videos that you recommend or that you do not agree with?

Thanks

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
pondoro said:
I had a pro trigger job done on my Mark II 20 years ago. My daughter's Ruger Mark II Target (purchased used) has a trigger is noticeably heavier than my gun. No daughter will stand for that. The gunsmith that did my trigger job is long gone and YouTube has blossomed. How to improve her trigger?

Midway sells Volquartsen target triggers and Volquartsen target sears. Also Volquartsen disconnectors. She'd be out $100 by the time she bought all of those and her gun is supposed to have a target trigger to begin with. What would you do first? I was thinking the sear.

They also sell a Volquartsen accurizing kit for $109.

Has anyone put any of these parts in their Mark II? Any advice on which part makes the most difference? Any advice on which parts are easy or hard to install? Any YouTube videos that you recommend or that you do not agree with?

Thanks

There are parts in the accuracy kit you really don't need. A lot depends on how far you want to go with improving the trigger. If you're just looking for a pull weight reduction, reworking the sear, or buying the VC sear is enough to get you started.
Reworking a Ruger Mark pistol sear to reduce pull weight, and/or changing the engagement angle, should be done properly. My investment to do that involves this fixture:

niktO1Sl.jpg

The factory aluminum trigger leaves much to be desired as to provide for a smooth consistent trigger pull. In many cases I've found the the pivot pin hole in the trigger to be elliptical and not as round or as well sized, as it should be. This is my remedy for repair:

nYWw9RBl.jpg

The original pivot pin hole is reamed to a larger diameter and a "steel bushing" is inserted into the trigger with a pivot pin bore that measures 0.0005-inch over the pivot pin diameter. This creates a much smoother and more consistent trigger pull action.

The Volquartsen disco, being much thicker than the factory disco is an appeasement for those who feel the factory disco flexes during trigger pull. That's quite a claim. The disco works in a linear direction, and even with a 10 pound, measured trigger pull weight, how could the factory disco flex, or bow to the sides? And, consider this. The Volquartsen disco is much heavier than the Ruger factory disco. So, pulling the trigger also lifts the disco up from the front end of it, and the disco being a bit heavier, requires a bit more pressure on the trigger shoe face to lift the heavier disco.
There are several other mating parts in the fire control system that could stand to be made a bit smoother in their interaction with one another, so that all depends on how far you and your daughter want to go with that pistol.

Good Luck with your endeavors.

hboswell

Bearcat
I have several mark ll's which I have done trigger work on, and you can do worse than install the Volquartsen up-grade kit. The installation can be a little tricky the first time around but the results can be night & day over the factory parts. On the other hand, I have also done several upgrades myself by simply polishing the sear, hammer and trigger bar and installing a Volquartsen trigger. My Lyman gauge puts the pull on the full kit guns at right around 2lbs and the polished ones at 2 1/2-3lbs. Look here-https://volquartsen.com/clearance You might also pick up a couple of the mag releases at the bottom of the page, they are fantastic and very easy to install. BTW if you enter your email on the Volquartsen sight when ordering, the shipping is free.

I agree with SGW, the disconnector isn't worth replacement cost. If you're a tinkerer, the VQ trigger/hammer/sear is worth the $$ and time it takes to DIY.
I still haven't got my hammer spring changed, maybe should just send it to SGW.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Mobuck said:
I agree with SGW, the disconnector isn't worth replacement cost. If you're a tinkerer, the VQ trigger/hammer/sear is worth the $$ and time it takes to DIY.
I still haven't got my hammer spring changed, maybe should just send it to SGW.

Can do that. Will also lap the inside channel where that spring rides. You'd be surprised as to how much smoother the bolt pulls back after that. Will also stake the latch pivot in place to prevent drifting.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
mohavesam said:
I've had great experience with Clark's steel trigger & bushings. Hundreds of headshots in the high pines testify.

I have also, and I really like the Clark steel triggers. It's too bad they won't sell those any longer. At least not unless you have the trigger work done by them.