A call to Ruger required.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

When at Contenders, for the "gathering", I was having problems with my new 6" barreled Bearcat. Seems it was difficult to cock. Tried different ammo and no difference was seen. Today I was looking at it and made a discovery. If I held it so the muzzle was pointed straight up it cocked just fine, however, if it was held level or slightly muzzle down it wouldn't cock. Finally figured out the problem. The transfer bar is jamming under the firing pin if level or nose down. Pointed up it works find. Gonna call Ruger in the morning and see what they will do to correct it. Except the factory proof firing it had never been loaded it till I was at the range.

contender

Ruger Guru
Check the base pin. The tip of the base pin is supposed to provide a little "push" into the back of the transfer bar to prevent this issue. Make sure the pin is fully seated,, AND that the tip of the base pin isn't stuck.

trapperon

Blackhawk
Fox Mike

I had the exact bearcat problem. And as Contender stated it was that the spring loaded plunger on the transfer bar side of the base pin was sticky or tight. I did try another base pin from another bearcat and it indeed solved the problem. So I then called Ruger and they sent me another base pin at no charge.

The 6 inch bearcat is my favorite one of all and shoots darn near dead on! Just reminds me of a scaled down peacemaker!!

Ron

contender

Ruger Guru
Dern Frank,, I wish you'd said something when you were here. We could have checked it out. I know,, it's my fault as I was all over the place & didn't get on the line with you when you were fooling with it. But at least we did get the sights corrected.

Decided to go with a Belt Mountain base pin. I know they are built properly. I am honestly becoming tired of Rugers' lack of 'QC'. The last three new Bearcats I have purchased have had some pidling defect. One was sent back for rebuild/repair, the other they sent me replacement parts. I'll fix this one myself.

Well I guess a call to Ruger is going to have to happen. Ordered a pin from Belt Mountain and received a call today telling me they didn't have any blued pins and it might be some time before any are available?