Value - Ruger Single Six???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

huskerbob

Bearcat
Looking at a Flat Gate Single Six with original Stag Grips and the original box in average condition. Considerable scuffing and wear on the box but it's solid in the corners with no tears. Serial Number on the pistol is 40,XXX which matches the S/N written on the box.

I already own a Single Six but it's a round gate with original black plastic grips and a S/N of 111,XXX which dates it to 1958 I believe.

Anybody have an estimate of the value range of the flat gate with Stag grips???

Thanks!!

huskerbob

Bearcat
hittman said:
huskerbob said:
original Stag Grips

Now there's a conversation starter for ya.

did I say something wrong??? I was told the grips were put on the gun by Ruger when the gun was manufactured. Please correct me if I misspoke.

Bob

contender

Ruger Guru
Well,,, a LOT depends upon several factors.
First,, the condition of the gun. Very important.
Next,, as noted by the short post above,, "Factory Stags."
That has been & always will be,, a deep topic of discussion. Why? Because of the many counterfeit sets of grips that have been done. DETAILED,, up close pictures of the medallions,, BOTH front AND back are necessary to assist in determining the potential of them being "factory." As such,, a nice pair of non-factory, XR3 type stags will usually be worth around $300. A set of FACTORY stags can be in the $600 range.
The gun,, condition, condition, condition. Good pics can help us help you.

hittman

Staff member
Rule of thumb ...... always always always assume they are NOT factory stags and offer $$ accordingly.

For me ..... the seller needs a letter of authenticity from Ruger. If THEY say they were shipped that way ...... I'd buy that story. As Contender said ..... tons of fakes out there. Not fake stag .... just not factory installed.

huskerbob

Bearcat
OK, thanks for the info. unfortunately, I don't have pictures of the gun or the grips. I understand condition a large part of value. I guess I was hoping to learn an approximate value range not a specific appraised value. However without photos, I guess I shouldn't have posted the question.

Bob, greetings and welcome to the forum,yes without actually "seeing" the gun ,condition, etc and the grips them selves had to put a more exacting value to this package,but in the general area offhand, you have a $400-600 gun, and the box may be in the $100-150 area if its the original "uncatalogged " first issue, and the grips can be REAL stag such as Ajax or Eagle or any other maker, and be in the $200-250 range and if ORIGINAL issue , factory (MOST were installed after the guns were shipped, either by the owners or even the gun shop selling the gun in the first place), and then these verified "factory stag" grips can and will run $450 and UP ,again upon verification and just HOW good they look, lots of mismatched pairs out there, many have been sanded down, ( bark removed) and made smooth...
sounds like you have a nice package and back in the day the gun was like $49.50 and the stag grips were around $8.50,,,,which is what we paid for many back when we had the gun shop.........

if NICE shape those are "keepers"......... 8) :roll: :wink: