MK4B ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
It's the little things that drive you crazy. Or we are all a little crazy. While going thru the safe found on MK4B with checkered laminate thumb rest grips and one with smooth thumb rest grips. One with smooth grips 218 prefix model 00139 on box. One with checkered grips 221 prefix. No label on box. Could these be different distributor models. Also found one KMK4BL with scope mount and rings and one KMK4BL no mount and rings. Which way did they come from factory.

221 prefix

218 prefix

IIRC, the Lipsey's stainless version (KMK4BL) was factory drilled and tapped, but the bued (MK4BL) was not.

It seems to me that the KMK4BL did not come with mount/rings included.

Just about the time you think you know something... :p

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
Highstandardguy said:
I believe they are both MK4Bs. There is also a version with the standard black plastic grip panels. I don't know if any were distributor versions.

There are distributor models KMK4BL, MK4BL both for Lipseys. I think a Davidson MK4B and I have the MK4B with the black plastic grips. Which next to the KMK4BL is a harder one to find.

Here are a few of mine.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
1gunsnotenough said:
It's the little things that drive you crazy. Or we are all a little crazy. While going thru the safe found on MK4B with checkered laminate thumb rest grips and one with smooth thumb rest grips. One with smooth grips 218 prefix model 00139 on box. One with checkered grips 221 prefix. No label on box. Could these be different distributor models. Also found one KMK4BL with scope mount and rings and one KMK4BL no mount and rings. Which way did they come from factory.

The serial number prefix and the follower button diameters, if the magazines are in the correct boxes with the correct pistols, should answer your question.

Hi 1gun;
Don't know if I have any real answers for you, but I've got some more questions.
Could your 218 prefix MK4B be part of the serial # cleanup undertaken by Ruger to consolidate their numbering system? If so, its 1 of 525 MK4B's treated to this distinction. (No mention of which type grips shipped with this model (0139)).

Your 221 prefix should be manufactured in Prescott before interruption of MK4 production to accommodate the run of 50th anniversary MK450's, when the serial #'s were in the 223 range. Also a Model 0139, with no mention of grip styles.

Both Lipseys editions, Model 0138 (MK4BL) and Model 0198 (KMK4BL) came with smooth rosewood grips but no mention of scope rings and mounts.
These Lipseys special editions were both shipped from 2000 to 2003.
No mention of factory D&T receivers is made before 2003. ( MK512CA, Model0199). These pistols have prefixes beginning with 225. Since your original post didn't include the serial #'s for them, we're left to speculate. In 2004, all adjustable sight receivers were factory D&T'd and included Weaver scope base adapters. Since this change took place in 2004, why would any Mark II's made before then include factory rings and bases?

Special acknowledgement to Chad Hiddleson and his Reference of Ruger Firearms.

Bullseye, Highstandardguy,

My Bad. Like looking through a scope ,I got tunnel vision and was only looking at regular production model numbers.

The Government Competition models had been available since 1992 with factory D&T, and a 218 serial number prefix reserved for these models. Since 1guns questions revolved around MK4 models, I failed to include this distinction in my generalization about Rings and bases being included with a purchase.

Hey 1gun,
There is currently a MK4B (Model 0139) that looks exactly like your 218 prefix pistol for sale on GB that has a 223 prefix. Also a model 0139 if the box is correct. FYI

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
cabinroe said:
Hey 1gun,
There is currently a MK4B (Model 0139) that looks exactly like your 218 prefix pistol for sale on GB that has a 223 prefix. Also a model 0139 if the box is correct. FYI
Thanks. I have been watching it.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
SHOOTER said:
What's the market value on these now?

Excellent question. :lol: Some of the more RARE Ruger Mark II pistols have received a well earned market notice, but then again, some will languish in safes for a very long time.
While the Ruger Mark II, for a few years, especially after the Ruger Mark III was foisted upon the shooting public, gained some boosted interest, the Ruger Mark IV has now gained even more attention. When asked, a couple of years ago, which variations Ruger made over the years, will be involved with the now "easier to disassemble and clean" Mark IV, the answer was, "many of the models previously offered". Now, what that means, only time will show.

Like it or not, the new style Ruger Mark IV has addressed some of the issues many owners were complaining about, whether those issues were true or false, doesn't matter, they are a concern to some to the point Ruger took serious notice. Even the Ruger Mark II was a difficult pistol to take-down for some, who obviously felt it should be an easier endeavor.
I'm sorta anxious to see what the future holds for NEW Ruger Mark IV pistols and what variations will contribute to dropping prices of "Mark II safe queens". So, you never know, and can only speculate if Ruger Mark II pistols, even those that have been coddled and kept NIB, will bring the fortune some expect and have gambled on. :cry:

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
SHOOTER said:
What's the market value on these now?

Excellent question. :lol: Some of the more RARE Ruger Mark II pistols have received a well earned market notice, but then again, some will languish in safes for a very long time.
While the Ruger Mark II, for a few years, especially after the Ruger Mark III was foisted upon the shooting public, gained some boosted interest, the Ruger Mark IV has now gained even more attention. When asked, a couple of years ago, which variations Ruger made over the years, will be involved with the now "easier to disassemble and clean" Mark IV, the answer was, "many of the models previously offered". Now, what that means, only time will show.

Like it or not, the new style Ruger Mark IV has addressed some of the issues many owners were complaining about, whether those issues were true or false, doesn't matter, they are a concern to some to the point Ruger took serious notice. Even the Ruger Mark II was a difficult pistol to take-down for some, who obviously felt it should be an easier endeavor.
I'm sorta anxious to see what the future holds for NEW Ruger Mark IV pistols and what variations will contribute to dropping prices of "Mark II safe queens". So, you never know, and can only speculate if Ruger Mark II pistols, even those that have been coddled and kept NIB, will bring the fortune some expect and have gambled on. :cry: