Advice on 10/22 BX-25, BX-15 magazines

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Checked several sources for these magazines: ShopRuger.com, Cabelas, Midway, others.....Reviews are all over the place, some people say they work great, others say save your money. Thought you guys could give me some honest advice on these products. Should I just buy a bunch of the 10 round rotary mags?

I have several non-Ruger 25 round mags and 2 Rugers. Function with any is somewhat questionable especially when the mag is allowed to contact almost anything(arm, bench, knee if sitting) while shooting. I have them because they were cheap and the kids thought they looked cool. I seldom use 25 rounders and the pickup and UTV 10-22 rifles only use 10 rounders cause I demand they work and the extra length/weight of the longer mags wear on the mag catch when riding in the vehicle.

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
Usually just use the 10 round magazines that come with the gun , but I do have one BX-25 made by Ruger and have never had a problem with it at all and over a few years have used it quite a bit.

Dave Schwaab

Single-Sixer
I am usually a handgunner, but, when I retired last year, I treated myself to some new .22s, including a 10/22. The first time I shot it, the BX-1 10 round magazine jammed! It wouldn't feed, and needed to be disassembled to be freed up. That wasn't a big problem for me because I wanted to add a red dot sight and higher capacity mag anyway.

After checking local (New Jersey) regs, I bought a couple BX-15 mags and have been very happy with them. I find them easier to load rounds into, and also easier to get into and out of the rifle.

Recently, New Jersey changed their laws, reducing magazine capacities to 10 rounds. Semi-auto .22s with higher capacity tubular magazines are exempted, they are considered "Boy Scout rifles", but the 10/22 is an assault rifle because it uses an evil box magazine. Now I have to either destroy, turn in (through a very specific and involved process, or else I am still considered a felon) or modify my 15 round mags to only hold 10 rounds. I modified mine, because I do prefer them, but I can still be questioned because I have the appearance of having a high-capacity mag. However, since you can only get 10 rounds into them now, I will be found compliant. PITA

22/45 Fan

Hunter
In general non-Ruger high capacity magazines have a poor reputation for reliability. This was adequately demonstrated to me a couple of week ago when a guy on my Steel Challenge squad had insurmountable feed problems using two different Butler Creek 25-round magazines but the gun ran flawlessly when he switched back to the factory 10-round magazines.

I have two Ruger BX-25 magazines and they run reliably in my 10/22 as do the 10-round BX-1 magazines so I've had good results with Ruger factory mags in both capacities.

An interesting variation is TandemKross' "Double Kross" magazines which are two clear 10-round magazine bodies molded together back-to-back. They use all Ruger BX-1 internals and feed lips and only change the outside body. I have three of them (6-magazines equivalent) and they have worked extremely well and are easier to remove and replace in the gun than the single magazines. Here is what they look like:

https://www.tandemkross.com/Double-Kross-Double-1022-Magazine-Body-for-the-Ruger-1022-Rotary-Magazines_p_226.html

9x19

Hunter
The Tactical Innovations magazines are the most reliable high capacity magazines, as they recognize the wide range of tolerance Ruger has for the 10/22 magazine wells and have screws you can adjust for each individual gun.

The BX15s are OK in my few guns, and I do like their shorter length over the 25 round mags.

hittman

Staff member
I'm the rare lucky one.
All my BX-25 mags work without fail.
I have half a dozen or so Butler Creek and Ram-Line el-cheap-o 25 rounders with the plastic lips and they too work fine in any of the three different 10/22's I own.

As others may have said ..... some feel the need to use the extended mag as a "handle" or rest it on the bench. All bets for reliability are off then and not the fault of the magazine.

hpman66

Hunter
I will pass this along for anyone that is interested. Instead of having to cut down a .22LR case as he does in the video, I have heard the .22Short case works(also in replies) just as well and mods are not necessary to the .22Short shell casing.

https://youtu.be/BG2icP0k1_Q
Ruger BX-25 Magzine Jam Fix for Ruger 10-22 Rifle Ep.2018-05
Gary Lundgren
Published on Jan 31, 2018

ALSO

(JUST SAW THIS ONE)
https://youtu.be/gTz-vFLpa-s
Ruger 10/22 Top 5 jams and stovepipe causes and fixes
Kyle Rakestraw
Published on Feb 5, 2017

I have had zero issues with the BX-25 magazines.

Ironically, I can't say the same for the BX-15. The one supplied with my Ruger Precision Rimfire has given me fits from the start. I've disassembled it multiple times but cannot find the cause. The follower is very sloppy and the tape measure spring provides very little tension. Sprayed silicone on the moving parts and although it's better, it's still not satisfactory.

Funny too (not really), I opened up a brand new 10 round mag to continue my shooting during my first range trip with the RPR and the 10 round magazine would not fit in the magazine well of the RPR or any 10/22. Shaving the sides with a lathe file fixed it up.

As trouble free as Ruger's magazines used to be isn't always the case now. It pays to have spares that have been previously tested. Fresh out of the package is no guarantee.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
hpman66 said:
I will pass this along for anyone that is interested. Instead of having to cut down a .22LR case as he does in the video, I have heard the .22Short case works(also in replies) just as well and mods are not necessary to the .22Short shell casing.

https://youtu.be/BG2icP0k1_Q
Ruger BX-25 Magzine Jam Fix for Ruger 10-22 Rifle Ep.2018-05
Gary Lundgren
Published on Jan 31, 2018

ALSO

(JUST SAW THIS ONE)
https://youtu.be/gTz-vFLpa-s
Ruger 10/22 Top 5 jams and stovepipe causes and fixes
Kyle Rakestraw
Published on Feb 5, 2017

That's an excellent fix using the spent .22 casing. If I do try that method, I'll use a case mouth chamfer tool to deburr the case mouth, only 'cause it might be quicker.
So, far I may have been lucky with the BX 25 magazines as I haven't found that issue on the three I use. Good idea though, thanks for posting.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
I have not had any problems with the ten round mags in the last thirty five
years. If you have a compulsion for higher capacity, there are clips (for
lack of a better descriptor) that hold three ten round mags.

I've been using the ten round mags since 1966.

P.S. I had one ten rounder go bad, back around 1970. Threw it out and
have not had problems since.

Jrossept

Bearcat
A few months back a purchased a new American Rimfire, and I have had so many problems with the 10 rounder it came with that I finally just tossed it. I took it all together and put it back apart, checked it out carefully and cleaned it, still no joy. It was just bad and wouldn't work in a 10-22 either. OTH I have used a steel lips 10 rounder with my 10-22 for years and it works well in both rifles, along with 2 BX-25s. As some have mentioned, maybe the quality of the famed rotary magazines from Ruger has dipped a bit, so it's more hit or miss now.

mac66

Single-Sixer
No experience with the BX15s but the BX10 and BX25s have all worked in all of my 10/22s with no malfunctions.

hpman66

Hunter
FYI:

https://youtu.be/iWhhcYHo6qM
Ruger 10/22 BX-25 X2 Magazine Issue and Quick Easy Fix
Tac Dad
Published on Sep 24, 2014

Jrossept

Bearcat
Jrossept said:
A few months back a purchased a new American Rimfire, and I have had so many problems with the 10 rounder it came with that I finally just tossed it. I took it all together and put it back apart, checked it out carefully and cleaned it, still no joy. It was just bad and wouldn't work in a 10-22 either. OTH I have used a steel lips 10 rounder with my 10-22 for years and it works well in both rifles, along with 2 BX-25s. As some have mentioned, maybe the quality of the famed rotary magazines from Ruger has dipped a bit, so it's more hit or miss now.
The 10 rounder that came with my American Rimfire did not work either. Ironically, the most reliable magazine I have, that works with both the American and my 10-22 - is a steel lips 10. It has never jammed and I've been using it for 10 years now. I don't think the Ruger rotary mags are as good as they used to be.