Modified My Mark III Range Report

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
After a few upgrades to my Ruger Mark III Hunter this week I finally go the chance to bring it to the range for a workout. I replaced the barrel with my old Tactical Solution (TS) 4.5 in with the threaded muzzle. I attached a Tandemkross (TK) Game Changer Pro compensator to it.

Other modifications include: Volquartsen (VQ) Accurizing Kit, VQ Rubber grips, VQ Extended Bolt Release and Extended Safety, along with a TK Victory Trigger and Halo Bolt Racker.

The Mark III now boasts a 1.5 pound trigger with very little take-up.

The first thing I noticed was that the bolt did not go in at all and needed some adjusting. The ejector was new and would not allow this bolt to go on without binding. I had another bolt but didn't try it. Instead I polished the ejector and then kept testing the fit. I got it to work so I needed to go to the range and test it further.

I fired 100 rounds and was getting a failure to eject about every 4-5 rounds so I new I had to modify the ejector a little more. I forgot all my good tools except my Ruger All-In-One screwdriver. I was able to coach the ejector so that I was no longer having any jams for the next 200 rounds of CCI Blazer ammunition.

I had just gotten the barrel back from Tac-Sol where Colt had Helicoiled the holes for the scope mount. I had cross stripped the holes by using 4-48 screws instead of the 4-40's needed and couldn't get the scope mount to stay on even though I was using Blue Loctite. With the new holes and new screws everything went on as it was supposed to.

I mounted a C-More Railway Red Dot Sight with a 12 minute dot for Steel Challenge Matches. Sighted in 1.5 inches low at 10 yards ( I was more interested in function firing today then sight settings).

I love the new barrel. It is accurate and a lot lighter that the stock Hunter barrel. While shooting fast the sight nicely danced in the black of my target at 10 yards. This setting should now be right on at 15 and works great at 25 yards as well with no adjusting.

[url=https://imgur.com/h4e8IKb][img]http://i.imgur.com/h4e8IKbl.jpg[/img][/url]

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Tac-Sol's using #6-40 base mounting screws caught me out a few years ago when I bought a Tac-Sol Picatinny rail for my 22/45 MkII. It came with mounting screws which were clearly the wrong thread pitch. Fortunately I didn't force them but called Tac-Sol to find out what was wrong. Their uppers are threaded #6-40 and that's what i had. I couldn't pick up just any #6-48 screws since the head size was unique to Tac-Sol.

They sent me a full set of properly configured #6-48 screws which fit perfectly but were quick to let me know they only had a very few of these and not to ask for more!