RAR rimfire

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chief 101

Hunter
Does anybody here own and shoot a RAR rimfire Target model? The one with the gray laminate stock with the short fat barrel? If so what do you think of it? There is a lot I like about it but I haven't shot one nor do I know anybody that has one.
I like the way it looks
I like the solid feel of the heavy stock
I like the rotary mag
I like the rail for scope mounting
I like the trigger
I like the short barrel
I like that its made in the USA and by Ruge
I know there are some people that will want to give a bad review but if you haven't paid your dues I don't care to hear about it...thanks :mrgreen:
P.S. I did look at the Precision rimfire by Ruger and find its not my cup of tea

Chief 101

Hunter
thanks, I also have an American Predator in .308 and it too is more accurate than I think it should be.

"Mobuck, only if you have paid the price and have the first hand experience"

I'll put it this way: As a moderate price point rim fire, the RAR is in the "OK" category. Once you start adding "stuff" (stocks, barrels) to "upgrade" with the resulting increase in cost, the RAR loses it's edge. I do have an RAR compact threaded and while it's fairly accurate, it doesn't hold a candle to Tom's CZ "Scout"(not sure but it's the cheapest CZ series)of approx same weight and barrel length which is priced around what that RAR Target costs.
I also have an RAR 17 HMR and it's painful to discuss it's performance.

Chief 101

Hunter
Mobuck, I have lots of centerfire varmint rifles and not interested in 17 HMR. Why do I need to add stuff to the RAR? I like the stock, I like the Rotary Mags, I like the Rail for scope mounting, etc. Not sure I know what you are talking about when you say upgrading. Maybe the CZ will have the edge on accuracy, but for offhand 200yd competitions not sure that matters. Thanks for your opinion

The laminated stock, scope rail, and short, fat barrel are "factory upgrades" which increase the cost of the rifle over the standard RAR, correct?
If you're shooting a 22lr "for offhand 200yd competitions", you'll need every "edge on accuracy" you can find.
My reference to the RAR 17HMR was to provide an example of the real possibility of an RAR not being up to assumed standards.

Chief 101

Hunter
It comes from Ruger that way, called RAR Target model, the important factor in offhand longrange shooting is hitting the target, its a hit or miss. Good balance and fit is more important than a fraction of an inch better performance from a bench. I hope I made the right choice.
https://ruger.com/products/americanRimfireTarget/models.html

Chief 101

Hunter
I picked the American Rimfire Target model up yesterday, didn't need much in the way of cleaning and only easy trigger adjustment. Put a decent scope on it and without having shot it find it appears to be a good format for the rimfire. If it has close to the CZ 455 accuracy I will be thrilled with it.

Chief 101

Hunter
I took the RARimfire Target model out for the second time today, its very impressive. I put a 4x12x40 AO Vortex on it and reworked the trigger to close to 2#. I have shot about 10 different selections of 22lr ammo and come up with the top performer with 20 shots into less than 3/4" at 50 yds. That was a hi velocity 40gr round. Several other standard velocity rounds did about the same. These were all wax coated 40gr rounds, only one hi velocity. Next range visit will be with copper coated hi velocity, don't expect the same results, but hopeful. This is all inexpensive ammo, most expensive would be the cci standard velocity(this came in second with the same group size)...no target ammo.

trapperon

Blackhawk
Chief

Anxious to hear about your next outing with the RAR Target. I bought one recently--basically for the same reasons you stated--but have not had a chance as yet to scope it and take it to the range. Sounds very promising though!

By the way, as a big No. 1 fan I love the Alexander Henry notch they incorporated into the forend tip. Gives it a little "soul"!!

Ron

Chief 101

Hunter
You have reason to be excited, I think it will keep up the the CZ fans who thought I was insane for not following their choices. It seems to shoot the inexpensive vermin ammo well. Have fun, and I have my next outing organized except for the day. I want to do the next outing at 100 and maybe 200yds. Wind will be the determining factor.

Latest posts