GP100 22LR new to me but off to Ruger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vulcannut

Bearcat
This weekend I picked up a used GP100 in 22LR at my local dealer. I had been wanting one of these but they don't show up to often. I know there is always the online option but I try to keep it local if I can. Well anyways I took it home and while cleaning I noticed that the barrel was not centered to the frame. When cleaning there was a good bit of lead around the forcing cone. Now I know I could of taken the gun back to my dealer and they would of made it right but instead I called Ruger and it's heading to NH tomorrow. I sort of wish I noticed it prior to bringing it home I guess the but oh well. Then again I probably would of still taken it home.

It sure is pretty

Until you look down the barrel

Ruger said if it's out of spec, which I would think it is, it will either be repaired or replaced. If they say it's good to shoot then shoot it I will. Just seems way off to me.

It also looked real nice next to it's elders - sitting between a 1975 Security Six and 1989 GP100 .357

terrancemc

Single-Sixer
Good luck with Ruger. I bought one of the new GP100 7 shot guns with the 2.5"bbl. When I got it home I noticed the barrel is canted slightly to the right, enough that everyone that has held it noticed it. I sent it back to Ruger and the first time they replaced the cylinder and said they adjusted the barrel but it wasn't moved at all. Sent it back again with notes that management was to look at it, got it back real quick with note stating they re-gauged the barrel but it wasn't moved at all. I called them and was told that they put it into their barrel gauge and found it to be within acceptable specs. He said they can't tighten it at all or it would be overtorqued. I called Davidson's to see if this qualified for their lifetime warranty but it is not covered if the gun was sent back to Ruger even 1 time. Maybe I am too picky but when I pay almost $900 for a handgun I would like it to be right. I have bought S&W revolvers with canted barrels and they always get it right the first time so I know it can be done. Not sure what my next move is but I was told I can send it back but unless they will install another barrel or replace the gun I don't see what good it would do. This is the first Ruger revolver with a canted barrel that I have seen.

vulcannut

Bearcat
As an update Ruger has advised me they will be replacing gun. It will be 2-3 weeks before I get it but I am not complaining.

vulcannut

Bearcat
oldwolf said:
Glad they are making it right.
Have you received the replacement?

Sorry but I never seen this and also for not updating the post. Ruger send me a new GP100 and I had it in 8 days after sending the bad one in. They told me they would replace it on a Thursday, shipped the new one on a Friday, arrived at my FFL on the following Monday. I picked up on a Tuesday.

Ruger came through. The new one is great. I probably ran close to a 1000 rounds through it with no issues. I have been meaning to do a range review but just haven't gotten to it yet.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Your picture of it next to your security six got me thinking...
Wouldn't it be fun to sleeve the cylinder chambers of a Security six? Then sleeve the barrel. The hard part would of course be the rimfire firing pin conversion.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
volcannut,

I really like those grips that are on you're GP100 (the wood grips) can you please tell me the manufacturer of those grips.

Thanks.