SR 22....So what's the deal?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
I'm in the market for a small 22 pistol for my wife. She has shown interest in the SR22 but I don't know much about them. The main purpose of this particular weapon is to provide for the continued safety and well being of our chickens. The main threats are fox, feral cats and coyote.

How's the accuracy on these? I see many postings stating they are accurate but no numbers. The chicken house is roughly 25 yards from the back door, will these make head shots at that distance? Since she doesn't know any better I may convince her that a laser sight is necessary :mrgreen: Of course, a suppressor may be needed also.

recumbent

Buckeye
At that distance I would use a 22 rifle.
At that distance if your dead set on a pistol get a MK 4 and put an optic on it. The MK4s are more accurate than the SR22.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
recumbent said:
At that distance I would use a 22 rifle.
At that distance if your dead set on a pistol get a MK 4 and put an optic on it. The MK4s are more accurate than the SR22.
+1 for a rifle being more suitable for predator control at that distance. Also, not only is the MkIV more inherently accurate than the SR22, it a lot easier to shoot accurately having better sights and a longe sight radius.

I'm not a half bad pistol shot but @ 25 yards with an SR 22, I'd be lucky to hit the CHICKEN HOUSE. In addition, I don't consider the SR 22 a good suppressor host due to the design of the barrel attachment.
Get a rifle.

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the input, it's pretty much what I expected. The other pistol she liked was the 22/45 lite. That will most likely will be the choice.

Tom has a 22/45 LITE. It's OK but I don't like the balance. Your wife may like it as it's not as muzzle heavy as a full profile all steel barrel. Coupled with one of the smaller suppressors, it's only slightly heavier than an all steel 5.5" 22/45.

tinman

Buckeye
You can use the pistol to scare them away........then you'll buy a rifle to kill em. Put a suppressor on it and shoot from inside the kitchen.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
You know your house and wife, but do not ignore the Ruger Charger.
They are made for optics of some sort but would easily fill the bill on
the other criteria you spoke of (and the price is not too bad). :D

dusty3030

Bearcat
At night with a handgun that distance - nope.
Regular low power scope, not red dot.
Light attached.
10/22 rifle and any decent rimfire suppressor.

The red dots you cant see through well at night.
Lasers when the animal sees that dot, and they will, they will high tail it out of there.
Regular scope when you use with a bright light magnifies the light you see through the scope, the target animal will show up great. Their eyes will glow as well. The bright light usually stuns them for long enough for a shot too. Light doesn't have to be fancy, you can zip tie or tape it to the stock fore end where it is easy to hit the tailcap button with your thumb while you are aiming.

This is all written with plenty of trial and error experience between myself and my best friend who is a wildlife biologist who has had to dispatch or dart animals in his job for many years day and night.