Single Six 22 Mag Cylinder question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rdtay10

Bearcat
I purchased an Old Model Super Single Six serial 512xxx. I would like to buy a 22 mag cylinder for it. Which cylinder would fit and be correct for the date of manufacture? Fluted or unfluted? Will any OM cylinder fit? Please educate me.
Thanks, Rodney

contender

Ruger Guru
GENERALLY,,, an OM cylinder will be fine, and time correctly to be used in your gun.
You first need the OAL to make sure you get one to fit. If you find one a few thousands long, it can be filed down in the boss to fit.
Your gun was made in 1965.
It should be a fluted cylinder.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
You will need a range rod to accurately check barrel-cylinder alignment. I have a .22 Mag NM cylinder which is a mismatched serial number to the used Single Six it came with. It carries up and locks up correctly, but the barrel-cylinder alignment is off when checked with a range rod. This means bullet fragments spitting when it's fired. Not a pleasant thing for the shooter or bystanders.

Best Regards,
ADP3

Rdtay10

Bearcat
I've never heard of a range rod. I'm assuming it is, in this case, a 22 caliber rod that would slide down the barrel and into the cylinder if alignment is correct?
Thanks,
Rodney

contender

Ruger Guru
Correct.
The thing to remember is a range rod has to fit very snugly in the bore, and not have any "play" or it can give you a false reading of mis-alignment.
A cheap way is to take a normal pistol cleaning rod, clip off the end of a Q-Tip, leaving about 1/4" of stem. Put the stem in the threaded hole, slid it in the muzzle, and watch what happens, from the side, when the Q-Tip leaves the barrel,, and starts into the cylinder. It's best to do this with the pistol mounted in a vise to give you free hands to work with, and stabilizes the handgun.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Old and new model cyls will interchange with the proviso contender shared above.

All old model Mag cyls are fluted. New model cyls were fluted up to 1976 when they changed to non-fluted.