Harris Bipod

Help Support Ruger Forum:

smackdab22

Bearcat
Hello,

I plan to purchase a Harris Bipod for a 10/22, I've decided on the 1A2 Ultra lite version. One is model BR and one is BRM, I wonder which one folks like the best. I've read a lot of reviews and it doesn't seem like either one would be a bad choice. The BR has a friction hold arrangement to hold the legs and the BRM has a notch system. I have a few questions about both.

Does the BR type make it awkward to handle the rifle while adjusting the legs? Being able to adjust the legs to different heights sounds good if you need it.

The BRM type has spaced notches, is that easier to handle? Does having the legs locked at specific heights ever create a problem with aiming?

Thanks in advance.

gunzo

Hunter
The notched legs are quick & easy to set. But the only way to get the gun perfectly level with the notched legs is to use the swivel base model(more money).
The friction adjust will allow a perfect level but as you guessed, it's a bit harder to use. You find ways to use it & it's not too bad. After having several, & using one quite a bit, I finally shelled out & bought a notched leg swivel model. Then bought a handle(pod loc) to lock the swivel after leveling. My wallet wasn't happy, but I wished I had gotten it sooner.

FWIW; I started seeing Harris knock offs on Ebay anywhere from $30 - $60. They all looked the same so I ordered the least expensive in the notched leg swivel model. It's not bad. Probably won't hold up s long as a Harris but might OK on the 10/22 general use. Use it hard, maybe in competition, RF sniper courses etc. -- cry once & get the Harris.

Welcome to the forum. :)

smackdab22

Bearcat
Thank You.

I will look again at the swivel model. It did appear to be little bulky, but I have only seen pictures on line. The store I go to frequently only has the BR style in stock. Maybe the swivel/notched leg style will provide the best of everything on second thought.

I will purchase the Harris, I have invested fair amount of time and money in to this rifle and I don't want to go cheap now. I haven't gone completely over the top, but the Harris products are in the price range I want to be in. I have purchased inexpensive products in the past thinking I was doing my wallet a favor...only to swap them out for something of higher quality later. I guess it really depends on what you're trying to achieve also. I have several 10/22's and one is nicely set up for plinking (for me at least), this one is a heavy barrel target version that I would like to get a little more performance out of.

Thanks Again

What is your intended purpose for the bipod? The reason I ask is because I've tried bipods for hunting and the only way they work is shooting prone. The ones long enough to use sitting are heavy and unhandy. I quit the bipods and returned to crossed sticks.